Canon XC10 "lens slides out" when used on drone

Andrew Reid

Thousands of professional videos done with GoPro, GH4, Dji cameras, thousands of Professional videos...........

*With all due respect, enthusiasts seem to do too much talking and have no idea how things work in the "real" world

​This really comes to mind when I think of the C100 vs A7S/5D raw etc. The canon c100 is a workhorse and looks beautiful with little to no post work. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

How do you guya think now after seeing the Clog footage samples? I am in love with the image and weirdly with the lens, just a very large range that covers landscapes to close ups to telephoto with any optical flaws throuought the range as I can see, no fringing, no corner softness, and of course most importantly how the colours look, DR seems very high in C Log too, and one thing, the sharpness in C log is COMPLETELY off, like the 1DC 0 sharpnrss image which is very detailed yet soft and organic. I love this specific quality and I think it's the sole reason why people see gh4/rx10/ax100/fz1000 to look videoish, because sharpness can't be completely off. 

The AF seems to track people'a faces perfectly at 240mm with quite a shallow DOF.

It seems like a camera you can give to an kid, and get great filmic, in-focus, steady images.

I am really falling in love with the C-log image at 2000$ is very tempting, just need to see a lowlight test. 

If it does well in lowlight this will be my wedding camera, as I've always wanted AF at weddings and hated changing lenses and wanted shallow DOF but not SO much, so the XC10 looks like a small beast for beauty weddings, wide, mids, close ups, teles, IS 5 axis, 4K res, small size, unlimited recording, just looks lovely for that kind of application where you want a camcorder AF, lens range, NDs, body, unlimited recording, yet don't want to completelt lose the filmic look. 

The fact that it's a broadcast approved codec gives a LOT of value too if I plan shooting something and still have the option to offer it to broadcasters, like documentaries and nature pieces. 

Just waiting for a low light test. 

​This really comes to mind when I think of the C100 vs A7S/5D raw etc. The canon c100 is a workhorse and looks beautiful with little to no post work. 

​Way to go totally off topic, my post was relevant to the discussion......

Now let me entertain you since you obviously want some attention. A7s shoots in S-Log mode for maximum dynamic range the cost is learning how to grade the footage (I've posted pics). 5D Mark III RAW requires a RAW workflow, for those who want great colors, high bit rate and many other advantages of RAW then workflow of converting/exporting and grading files is the cost.

C100 is a run and gun designed camera, built in Nd's, Xlr, EVF, long lasting batteries and countless programmable buttons + much more. These cameras are used a lot for Documentaries, tv shows, bts, interviews, etc. If you can afford the new C100 Mark II at around $5K+ then it's a great camera for what it's intended for.

Now around the $1500-$3K  you have GH4, NX1, A7s, 5D, Nikon etc. and of course Blackmagic Cameras.

Every single camera has it's  + / -  choose your tool and create art as they are ALL capable of creating a great quality image. 

How do you guya think now after seeing the Clog footage samples? I am in love with the image and weirdly with the lens, just a very large range that covers landscapes to close ups to telephoto with any optical flaws throuought the range as I can see, no fringing, no corner softness, and of course most importantly how the colours look, DR seems very high in C Log too, and one thing, the sharpness in C log is COMPLETELY off, like the 1DC 0 sharpnrss image which is very detailed yet soft and organic. I love this specific quality and I think it's the sole reason why people see gh4/rx10/ax100/fz1000 to look videoish, because sharpness can't be completely off. 

The AF seems to track people'a faces perfectly at 240mm with quite a shallow DOF.

It seems like a camera you can give to an kid, and get great filmic, in-focus, steady images.

I am really falling in love with the C-log image at 2000$ is very tempting, just need to see a lowlight test. 

If it does well in lowlight this will be my wedding camera, as I've always wanted AF at weddings and hated changing lenses and wanted shallow DOF but not SO much, so the XC10 looks like a small beast for beauty weddings, wide, mids, close ups, teles, IS 5 axis, 4K res, small size, unlimited recording, just looks lovely for that kind of application where you want a camcorder AF, lens range, NDs, body, unlimited recording, yet don't want to completelt lose the filmic look. 

The fact that it's a broadcast approved codec gives a LOT of value too if I plan shooting something and still have the option to offer it to broadcasters, like documentaries and nature pieces. 

Just waiting for a low light test. 

​Footage shot for broadcast can't be transcoded? I did not know that.

Because most drones not built for GoPro can take that payload.

You have 3 tiers of drone work and they are clearly marketing it for tier 2 (GH4, BMPCC etc rigs) and hoping to grab some of tier 3 too (C300, RED etc rigs)

If GH4 does add v-log and it works well in the 4:2:0 colour space, I think most will choose that option... Though rolling shutter might sway it back in the direction of the XC10

Btw - I really am not yet sold on this thing... Need to see it in person, test it out etc... I just think it MIGHT be a good option for drone and gimbal use, if you need 4K and good DR.

Broadcast networks like the BBC generally only allow 4:2:2 50mbps+ , so whether we can really see a difference or not, it is often worth it.

As storage is cheap, i'd rather have better IQ, for sure. Just wish they would start adding 10 bit, that is the real leap in quality.

On-camera storage is not cheap: XC10 is requiring expensive CFast cards for its codec and 4:2:2 4K, so there is absolutely a tradeoff worth discussing when considering XC10. Agreed though that 10 bit is more important, I'm sure it will become mainstream once Rec 2020 kicks in and 10 bit displays become commonplace.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

The LCD is both a 3.2" tiltable screen, and it comes with an optical loup that turns the LCD into a high quality electronic viewfinder (many external EVFs are LCDs with a high quality optics in a loup)

But of course the downside here is you add an extra step of attaching the loup before you can use the EVF.