An Assessment of the insta360 Ace Pro by a Skeptic - Video Examples Putting the Camera Through its Paces and no Talk

markr041

First, comparing the in-camera (Flowstate) stabilization in 4K 60 with the 4:3 FreeFrame setting using Gyroflow stabilization in post:

Second, 8K 24.0P video, complete with that beloved 24 fps motion:

Third, a video shot in 4K 60P, complete with moving with the camera (forwards and backwards), the 2X zoom, 2X slow motion (from 4K 120P), and audio.

Maybe I will try a night video. I wish it was a sunny day.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

insta360 Ace Pro versus DJI Pocket 3 at Night

insta360 first then the Pocket 3 for each scene.

insta360 Ace Pro set to Pure Video with low-light stabilization, sharpening low. DJI Pocket with noise reduction at the lowest level (-2) and 10bit HLG profile.

Both auto white balance and auto exposure. No noise reduction in post.

Pocket 3 HLG transformed using color management to REC709.

26 minutes ago, markr041 said:

insta360 Ace Pro versus DJI Pocket 3 at Night

insta360 first then the Pocket 3 for each scene.

insta360 Ace Pro set to Pure Video with low-light stabilization, sharpening low. DJI Pocket with noise reduction at the lowest level (-2) and 10bit HLG profile.

Both auto white balance and auto exposure. No noise reduction in post.

Pocket 3 HLG transformed using color management to REC709.

Loved both! ; ) You cannot reach the same performance on GoPro for sure... Even though, Pocket is obviously my fav, I think there's place for the other one no doubt... Horses for courses beyond the small size factor. What resolution you've used the Ace Pro on these shots? 8K?

It would be great to see 4K 120fps footage...

58 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

Loved both! ; ) You cannot reach the same performance on GoPro for sure... Even though, Pocket is obviously my fav, I think there's place for the other one no doubt... Horses for courses beyond the small size factor. What resolution you've used the Ace Pro on these shots? 8K?

It would be great to see 4K 120fps footage...

1. "insta360 Ace Pro set to Pure Video with low-light stabilization" = 4K 30p, fixed. That is the camera's best low-light setting. 

2. The slow motion parts of the 4K 60P daylight video were shot in 4K 120p. There are three consecutive clips. Since this was a 60P video, the slow motion is 1/2 speed.

6 minutes ago, markr041 said:

2. The slow motion parts of the 4K 60P daylight video were shot in 4K 120p. There are three consecutive clips.

I mean, comparatively... between these 2 devices : )

6 minutes ago, markr041 said:

1. "insta360 Ace Pro set to Pure Video with low-light stabilization" = 4K 30p, fixed. That is the camera's best low-light setting.

And still comparatively, with 8K 24p on low light too only for the Ace Pro, obviously... :- )

The key innovation of the insta360 Ace Pro is its low-light stabilization setting. This appears, from my test video, to have almost eliminated the artifacts of digital stabilization while moving the camera in low light. Of course, all the digital noise reduction and processing results in a mushier video (compared to the non-processed (no noise reduction, no digital stabilization) video from the Pocket 3). But the results, if not looked at too closely, are impressive - colors are good and the dynamic range in "Pure Video" is pretty good too.

My assessment about low light is that when the cameras are standing still, there is not that much difference - the difference is when the camera moves, given digital stabilization  - GoPro is hopeless, and the insta360 Ace Pro does its magic, but the quality is still worse than mechanical stabilization, as seen in my video. To see the degradation from camera movement from the digital processing, look at the sign writing in the first insta360 clip at the end - when the camera is moving the print on the sign is doing peculiar things, when the camera stops, they become much clearer and precise.  You do not se such a dramatic change at the end of the Pocket 3 version.

One can invoke the low-light stabilization setting while shooting 8K 24P, so it would be interesting to see how that combination does at night, perhaps minimizing the mush. The "Pure Video" setting seems to push up exposure, and I reduced luma in post to make the video more realistic to the scenes. But I am not sure how that setting contributes to low-light prowess.

Interesting and helpful feedback, thank you for you care to let us know here in this community : ) I can't wait to see more from your findings and see you two with @kye cooperating with each other thoughts : )) Even when people disagree they invariably have something to share and something you two have in common, your passion and appreciation from us here I am pretty sure : ))) Speaking of me, I miss your posts when you're absent from these boards :- )

People always have something to learn from each other and someone's else experience.

8K 24P Test in Low Light with the Low-light Stabilization Setting used When I Move with the Camera

It appears that the low-light stabilization setting pushes up the shutter speed and ISO. You can see that in those clips (identified by whether or not I am moving with the camera) there is considerably more noise. The colors are retained and sharpness does not seem to be reduced, and the digital artifacts from low-light digital stabilization appear to be absent.

Audio is good.