Theatre Shooting (video/photo). Stick with M4/3 (go to Panasonic G9ii + new lens) or move to Sony?

sgreszcz

Hi there,

I've been doing mostly outdoor event video shooting as well as some indoor event streaming so have been happy with a basic kit of Olympus EM-1ii with 12-100 f/4 (which I use handheld), a GH5, and a couple of GX80 which I use with fixed prime lenses (P25 f/1.4 and P15 f/1.7) for multicam.  I also have the Olympus 40-150 f/2.8.  The Olympus IBIS, colours, AF, size and images are great.

I've recently been asked to do indoor theatre video (which this m4/3 system works good enough for) but now they want me to do some photography too.  I've done some test shots, but between the low-light grain (I can fix with AI denoise) and movement blur, I just can't do the photography with what I have.

I love the m4/3 dual-stabilisation for events, so I'm thinking if it would be better to get the Panasonic G9ii to replace the Olympus and get the 12-60/2.8-4 to replace the o12-100/f4 and maybe a used Panasonic 10-25/f1.7 zoom.

Or would it be better to switch to the Sony system with a A7siii (or similar, recommendations welcome!) with some decent 24-105/4 zoom.  I know I will gain on the low-light but will likely lose the run-and-gun stabilisation that I get in the Olympus system.  Also, I would not like to do heavy colour correction, as I'd prefer right out of camera.

Thank you so much in advance for any suggestions as it has been a few years since I've been looking at camera gear.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I think there are a lot of reasons to stick with M43 and go with the G9II, namely the stabilization and the lightweight lenses. I don't totally regret switching to the S5 (not the S5II) but I really, really miss the lower profile and smaller lenses.

If you are looking to switch, though, I agree with PannySVHS. I think that the Lumix S5II (or S5IIx) is a great option particularly because of the stability. You would have great low light and versatility, with the best stabilization, along with really good auto focus.