Opinion on the 5Ds sample image

mtheory

I'm interested primarily on smooth still low light performance, was looking at the ISO800 image posted by canon ( http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/samples/eos5ds/ ), scaled that down to match an 18MP image from D4s at ISO800, and I feel that the Nikon image looks quite a bit better while 5Ds is a bit muddy. I was kind of hoping downscaling from 50MP to 18MP would give 5Ds a fighting chance against D4s at high ISO, but it doesn't.

This is a totally subjective call, but this is not a stills camera for me, the D4s really does earn its bigger price-tag for now, so let's let's see if 5D4 can displace D4s in the low light arena this year. I want Canon colors with Nikon smoothness at ISO1600 and 3200, damn it.  :D

Anyone else looked at the samples and have opinions about the 5Ds?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

If you want to compare it to a Nikon, the D4s doesn't seem like the obvious one? It's 16.2MP. It's double the price or something.

The more obvious thing to do would be comparing it against Nikon's D810?

I think the new 5D-range is awesome for studio photography. Looks pretty awesome to me. But aren't we all wondering the same thing, being on EOSHD and all... how does it perform what video concerned? Olympus did a cool thing, there was reviews and samples everywhere yesterday. Curious about this new line in action. Although it does look like it's primarily meant for still photography in controlled light environments and capturing tons of detail. Still have to wait around a bit for the 5DmkIV, which could be the next best thing from Canon... or not of course.

I'm not sure what your last post is supposed to be showing, I just see a lot of white...

According to Canon the noise levels are on par with the 7D Mark II and the dynamic range is the same as the 5D3.

So no improvements at all, except resolution...

The 7Dmkii got rid of the extreme ugly shadow artifacts of the 5Dmkiii, so if you get your exposure right the 5Ds should give some pretty decent files. I try to shoot my d800 only at iso 100 because after that the colors fuck up because of color noise, even without pushing shadows, I can see the 5Ds not having that purple noise so it will be allright I guess.

The 7Dmkii got rid of the extreme ugly shadow artifacts of the 5Dmkiii, so if you get your exposure right the 5Ds should give some pretty decent files. I try to shoot my d800 only at iso 100 because after that the colors fuck up because of color noise, even without pushing shadows, I can see the 5Ds not having that purple noise so it will be allright I guess.

Only in shadows in very high dynamic range scenes have I seen color noise like that on D800 on higher ISOs, and only in the shadows. I've found the sensor surprisingly clean considered the high resolution.

Are you shooting very high DR scenes? If not - that sensor loves light, so expose the image as much as possible without blowing the highlights.

And yes, the main competitor in the high resolution segment would be the D800 or D810, not D4S.

Also, keep in mind that Nikon ISO is different to Canon ISO. A Nikon at ISO1600 is much brighter than a Canon at ISO1600. If I remember correctly the difference is around half an EV step to 2/3 EV steps.

Try to turn off color noise reduction, it will jump into your eye. Sometimes I have the camera on iso 200 or 400 without noticing, later on at the computer it's pretty ugly cause you loose all the color detail leaving something like a 12mp equivalent resolution. I mean, this is obviously pixel peeping, but when talking about 50 MP I think it's something to talk about.

And yes, the main competitor in the high resolution segment would be the D800 or D810, not D4S.

Also, keep in mind that Nikon ISO is different to Canon ISO. A Nikon at ISO1600 is much brighter than a Canon at ISO1600. If I remember correctly the difference is around half an EV step to 2/3 EV steps.

​It really depends on the camera too. That's only true for the most recent Nikons.