Sennheiser Previews MKH 8030 figure-of-eight RF Condenser Microphone

IronFilm

The MKH 8030 will become available during Q2 of 2024, and pre-orders will be accepted from the start of the show. Pricing: EUR 1,499 (MSRP) / USD 1,499 (MAP). Included will include an MZW 8030 foam windshield, an MZQ 8000 mic clamp and two Rycote back-to-back clips to create mic pairs.

https://www.newsshooter.com/2023/09/15/sennheiser-previews-mkh-8030-figure-of-eight-rf-condenser-microphone/

image.thumb.png.c50f95ee11d473a9ea2e1e90e37c199e.png

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Now I have to see if Rycote will modify my Cyclone, which they set up for MKH 8060 with the lousy Ambient Emesser mounted on top....I've been dying to replace the Emesser with a better small figure-of-eight mic and this is it. It could also be mounted in a very small Rycote blimp with the MKH 8050, which I also have.

15 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Far too expensive for my purposes, but it is encouraging to see an M-S mic.  

Why would you want a pair of them though..  aren't they stereo if you mix in the second channel in post?  Or is the second one for a safety channel at a lower gain?

7 hours ago, kye said:

Why would you want a pair of them though..  aren't they stereo if you mix in the second channel in post?  Or is the second one for a safety channel at a lower gain?

There is no second channel: these are mono mics with a bidirectional polar pattern. For location sound they are usually used with a shotgun or other cardioid/supercardioid/hypercardioid mic to form a mid-side (aka M/S) stereo rig.

5 hours ago, bjohn said:

There is no second channel: these are mono mics with a bidirectional polar pattern. For location sound they are usually used with a shotgun or other cardioid/supercardioid/hypercardioid mic to form a mid-side (aka M/S) stereo rig.

Ah, I thought there was a second capsule in the end, obviously I didn't look hard enough!

That makes sense, as you could use any shotgun, but need this special design for the Side part.

Sennheiser promised this mic over 15 years ago when the 8000 series was released, to replace the MKH30.

It was then delayed, scrapped, rebearthed, scrapped again. 4-5 years ago there was an online poll by Sennheiser (probably the beancounter department) to see if there was intrest.

Now it will become reality (???) - and suddenly worldwide about 2,5K sound engineers will either buy 1 MKH8030, or - finally - buy into the series and get 4-6 mics.

IMO some beancounters will faint, and some will be fired instantly, because they have cost Sennheiser a lot of money during those 15 years.

If it is as durable and even better sounding then the MKH30, it will be the best (full-range) fig8 mic available.

On 9/17/2023 at 8:29 PM, Yannick Willox said:

Sennheiser promised this mic over 15 years ago when the 8000 series was released, to replace the MKH30.

It's been a loooong wait for sure! 

Not what I'll get through, my next Sennheiser purchase will be another MKH50 (either next year, or the year after. No rush here).