GoPro Hero12

Emanuel

GoPro issued a new GP-Log LUT (November 9, 2023) along with new firmware, leading to much improved video.

2.35:1 aspect ratio from 16:9 5.3K 60P clips. Noise reduction was turned off, sharpening was set to low, and the bitrate was increased to 180 Mbps using the latest GoPro Labs firmware. The last clip, an interview with a tea farmer, was shot in a very dark room, and DaVinici Resolve noise reduction was applied to the clip. No noise reduction was applied in post to any other clip.

Meitan is a major tea-producing area in China.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 11/26/2023 at 3:02 PM, markr041 said:

GoPro issued a new GP-Log LUT (November 9, 2023) along with new firmware, leading to much improved video.

2.35:1 aspect ratio from 16:9 5.3K 60P clips. Noise reduction was turned off, sharpening was set to low, and the bitrate was increased to 180 Mbps using the latest GoPro Labs firmware. The last clip, an interview with a tea farmer, was shot in a very dark room, and DaVinici Resolve noise reduction was applied to the clip. No noise reduction was applied in post to any other clip.

Meitan is a major tea-producing area in China.

how to turn off the noise reduction in gp12? i cannot find the option in the setup menu in pro mode. i turn the sharpness to low for the 10 bit log. also, the labs beta firmware has only high and standard bit rate options. i cannot find the 180 mbps option. thx. 

On 11/29/2023 at 3:38 AM, zlfan said:

how to turn off the noise reduction in gp12? i cannot find the option in the setup menu in pro mode. i turn the sharpness to low for the 10 bit log. also, the labs beta firmware has only high and standard bit rate options. i cannot find the 180 mbps option. thx. 

Everything in GoPro Labs firmware works by QR code. Go to the GoPro Labs web site and learn how it works. None of the new options are in a menu.

And, yes, there are settings for turning noise reduction off, for setting the bitrate at any value you want up to 200 Mbps, for customizing the gamma curve, for extending the color gamut and much more. All by QR codes yous et up. There is a QR app that makes it easy or a web site.

5 hours ago, markr041 said:

Everything in GoPro Labs firmware works by QR code. Go to the GoPro Labs web site and learn how it works. None of the new options are in a menu.

And, yes, there are settings for turning noise reduction off, for setting the bitrate at any value you want up to 200 Mbps, for customizing the gamma curve, for extending the color gamut and much more. All by QR codes yous et up. There is a QR app that makes it easy or a web site.

thx boss.

i finally figured it out. 

in qrcode app, there is a tab called extension. there are many items in the pull down menu. the description can be found at th gp labs website. all of these are advanced features. gp is very smart, this way isolates experts from green hand totally, minimizing complaining and liability. 

now gp 12 even has a live histogram, basically i can do manual exposure. and the tonemapping, etc. these features make gp12 very interesting now. i will enjoy playing this little toy for a long time. 

So now as gp12 has live histogram, 10 bit log, 200 mpbs, seems that gp12 can do some serious log shooting. Does gp publish any white paper on glog shooting? Typically, in order to protect the highlight, log transformation suppresses the 100% ire to 60% - 70%, depending on manufacturers and models. What is the 100% ire equivalent glog % ire? What is the native dr of gp 12? The Labs app defaults histogram to 5, maybe we need change it to 11? How much improvement of dr can log have over hdr? I used hdr 5.3k, 24p, 10 bit, high bit rate, linear plus horizontal leveling, hypersmooth auto, vibrant color, high sharpness, high raw audio, wind auto, for a testing shoot. Seems dr is OK, color is Ok but not great, even breeze clips the sound severely. The hypersmooth is excellent, basically tripod proof. Wide range panning is great due to the horizontal leveling. I can see clearly heavy noise in the dark area and details in dark area are not good, kind of muddy. (I did not do anything to in camera nr at the time). Seems that in order to improve the image quality, the only way to go is to shoot 10 bit log, bitr = 200, wide = 1, nr = 0, sharpness low, aiming the brightest at 2/3 of the histogram, etc? More suggestions? Thx.  

How to improve the audio of gp12? It works Ok indoor, but does not even in light wind, which is the Achilles' heel for gp12. I watch some youtube videos, iphones now have some great functions to deduct background noise from wind, dish washer, dryer, etc. Very impressive. Can we have this on gp12? 

5 minutes ago, zlfan said:

How to improve the audio of gp12? It works Ok indoor, but does not even in light wind, which is the Achilles' heel for gp12. I watch some youtube videos, iphones now have some great functions to deduct background noise from wind, dish washer, dryer, etc. Very impressive. Can we have this on gp12? 

GP12 can record unprocessed raw audio separately simultaneously and save into the same folder. Is there any workflow (prefer free instead of costly addons) to process this raw audio in Resolve to get good sound? Something like AI  sound noise reduction in iphone? Thx. 

By activating extra features, iso and shutter info can be live on lcd screen. 

i try to manually control iso, like min iso 100, max iso 100, seems working. so, my question is: what is the native iso of gp 12 to have greatest dr?

i set shutter to 180 degrees, seems shutter auto changes all the time. so it is auto exposure by default. my question is: can manual exposure be activated? can shutter changes to 1/x sec instead of degree? if only auto exposure is allowed, does gp12 itself knows how to expose for log? or end user has to use ev compensation to manually adjust?

3 hours ago, zlfan said:

Seems that in order to improve the image quality, the only way to go is to shoot 10 bit log, bitr = 200, wide = 1, nr = 0, sharpness low, aiming the brightest at 2/3 of the histogram, etc? More suggestions? Thx.  

NR=0 is the default noise reduction. You want NR=1 for eliminating any noise reduction.

Interesting, Labs app has shutter as degrees, but the official app has 1/x sec. 

At the current status of auto exposure, I use -1 EV, from the histogram, seems working, pushing the histogram to the left. 

Right now, not sure if GP12 is smart enough to do auto exposure for glog. If not, maybe manually set to -1 EV to -1.5 EV, let the ISO flow from 100 to 400, auto shutter speed, it may work for glog. Really want to know the native ISO, or some graphs of DR versus ISO numbers. Come on, GP should release something like this if it considers itself pro level. Why don't Hollywood DPs complain about this? They use GP in their features too. 

Interesting, gp actually integrates -2 EV into its ae in log mode. So we actually need to do +1 EV to lose a little bit of highlight, but reduce a lot of shade noise. 

"You might wonder how to color grade or color correct GP-Log. The problem is that no matter how good you are at color grading, the exposure needs to be right in order to get good results. With the release of Gopro hero 12 Black, Gopro also released GP-Log or Gopro Log to the official firmware. But they implemented it with a secret EV comp of -2. This is why GP-Log is too dark in every shot. This video explains why a -2 EV comp is too low, and how to fix it with gopro labs."

So probably two modes need to be set to use gp log. 

One in sunny scene to protect highlight, which uses the default ae with the secret -2 ev locking in. 

Another in cloudy or indoor scene to reduce the noise in the shade, either don't use the gp log, or use +2 ev for each shot. 

2 hours ago, markr041 said:

The latest firmware fixes the GLog, so no longer at -2 EV. There is also a new LUT. The old ones are gone. There was something wrong with the original Glog, fixed.

thx boss. so we don't need adjust ev, or have -1 ev. depends on test results.