Mini-dv's of our time

And1

I used to be in love, and still am, with the mini dv cameras of the 90's. The practicality of it made me looking for that breeze of use in many newer cameras but have yet to find it.

I don't speak about mirrorless cameras or dslrs, but camcorders with great usability and image quality. One that probably come to mind is the hated Canon XC10/15.

Of course, I understand that a Sony Fx3 with a zoom lens could potentially be something similar, and better, but again, I'm talking about a camcorder with great image quality, small form factor, great usability.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
26 minutes ago, And1 said:

the hated Canon XC10

It was a love/dislike relationship for me. A joy to shoot with: the swivel handle and tilt screen combo was ergonomic genius. It reminded me in some ways of the unusual and delightful ultra-large 35mm compact film camera, the Zoom XL. Both feel nice in the hand.

The temporal noise reduction was bleuuuuuuuuuuurgh!

If they made another one today it would probably kick ass. But knowing Canon they would mess it up somehow.

• Super Members

In the same vein as the XC10, have a look at the Panasonic FZ2000/2500.

Its a stills camera style form factor but it can be considered a full on 4K/HD camcorder, complete with integral 4 step ND filter, V-LOG, 5 axis stabilisation, servo zoom (with LANC input to support external control), audio monitoring etc etc.

The 24-480mm zoom lens makes it ideal in the tourist camcorder role to get that broad range of coverage and shot sizes and here are some frame exports from footage that I shot with mine in that role, shot in v-Log using the 200mbps all-i HD codec.

MonacoCollageRedux.thumb.jpg.405d7a24518bbc6f1133e90ca6c3bd90.jpg\

Panasonic made a camcorder style version of it (with additional high frame rate capability) but it obviously was significantly more expensive (at least double if I recall correctly) as these things tend to always be.

You can pick up a used FZ2000/2500 for around €700 or under which makes it a very decent option for a camcorder role.

As long as you ignore the fact that it doesn't actually look one 🙂