Budget Timecode Sync Solutions

And1

On 6/20/2023 at 10:14 PM, BTM_Pix said:

If they are going to move forward with it then they could definitely do with a new version of either the Blue or the One that has both BLE and LTC and I'm also hoping Atomos can persuade the likes of Panasonic to add support for the BLE timecode into their cameras as Nikon have done.

They need to make it an open system, such as say Sound Devices did with SuperSlot, or we have with the Micro Four Thirds mount. Let anybody come in and make products for it, on either side: TC generators, or receivers of TC. 

Then we'll see Panasonic / Sony / ZCam / etc (perhaps even Blackmagic! hahahaha) join in and support wireless bluetooth timecode. At the moment, if I was a camera manufacturer I wouldn't. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

Because of ProRes RAW support, Atomos have development relationships with all of the popular camera brands (minus BM of course 🙂 ) and most of these new generation cameras have BLE so you'd think it would be something they would be pushing, particularly as there is no conflict with the manufacturers having their own solution.

You could argue maybe that they aren't interested in facilitating timecode solutions to 3rd party recorders as a way of enabling better sound for their cameras when most of them are pushing their own overpriced audio add on kits (or the Tascam compatible versions in the case of Canon and Fuji).

When I get round to setting up the Connect, I will, of course, be taking a great interest in analysing the connection and communication of the BLE link to the Zoom products to see if there is anything "interesting" that I might be able to use....

• Super Members

Right, so I've unpacked it, connected it and had a go at syncing a Zoom F2-BT and a Zoom H3-VR to it.

Absolutely nothing happening with either of them.

Updated the firmware on my Ninja V which in turn updated the firmware on the Connect.

Updated the firmware on both Zoom devices then verified that BLE works correctly on both of them with their respective Zoom Bluetooth control apps. 

Still nothing.

Then came across this comment on Atomos's YouTube channel under a promo for the Connect.

739881377_ScreenShot2023-06-21at16_56_32.png.27904d3e8aca029f0613c16552952648.png

That was from 10 months ago so you'd imagine that if there was an issue that Atomos would have addressed it by now, particularly as the new firmware update that I put on the Ninja V for it was from only a week ago...

I then found this absolute bombshell on Atomos FAQ section, also, you will note, from a week ago.

2017194334_ScreenShot2023-06-21at16_51_01.png.842e621f02a6b37a67bf1973316a7909.png

Unbelievable.

They had been pimping the fuck out of the Connect with AtomX Switcher module bundle for the whole of May and have casually forgotten to point out until last week (the deal ended at the end of May) that it doesn't work with any Zoom recorders despite it being known from that YouTube comment for ten months.

That will only be the recorders that the vast majority of people (myself included) have bought this thing to work with then.

This incompatibility thing is a bit fishy as well considering that the Zoom products do work with Atomos' own UltraSync Blue and AtomX Sync modules which of course themselves also work with the Connect.  

What the fuck is up with that company ?

As I said in a previous post, there is always something with them isn't there?

In this case, it looks like you have to buy an UltraSync Blue to act as a bridge if you want to use Zoom products or wait for some vague possible maybe firmware update from Zoom.

Yeah, as I was saying earlier I wouldn't go all in on the TCS Ltd products (even though I loved them, and have a bunch myself) now that Atomos has purchased them when I look back at their recent track record. I got all of mine well before the Atomos purchase. 

• Super Members
16 hours ago, Ty Harper said:

Well I was eyeing a AtomX Connect at a local store (they don't make them anymore)

It is the original AtomX Sync module that has been discontinued rather than the Connect.

Ironically, of course, the AtomX Sync works perfectly fine with the Zoom products 🙂 

The Connect does have a lot more utility over and above the timecode stuff though so its not a dead loss and I'm hopeful that Zoom will do the required firmware update.

But absent of any definite commitment from them, I'm likely seeing an UltraSync Blue having to enter the equation.

• Super Members
43 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Yeah, as I was saying earlier I wouldn't go all in on the TCS Ltd products (even though I loved them, and have a bunch myself) now that Atomos has purchased them when I look back at their recent track record. I got all of mine well before the Atomos purchase. 

Yeah, adding an UltraSync Blue will resolve my woes if Zoom don't update their firmware but I wouldn't rule out Atomos breaking compatibility with that either.

Curious how it works with the Tascam X6/X8 though as I'd put good money on their overpriced BT adapter being one and the same product as Zoom's overpriced BT adapter.

Anyhow, I'm off to test what else doesn't work on the Connect now 🙂 

• 3 months later...