No-Budget Movies Are Taking Over: Welcome to a New Era of Filmmaking

IronFilm

5 hours ago, mercer said:

Regarding no budget features...

I've heard of projects made for less than $10,000 that will get a streaming deal but I cannot imagine there is a lot of money to be made? What does the average filmmaker/producer make for getting a steaming deal with Tubi, etc...?

They've "make it for $10K" but they probably put in a quarter million dollars worth of their own time and energy! (well, probably once counting a few other key collaborators as well)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I've never worked in feature films, let alone direct one, but have worked in a few very low budget short films for some local film competitions. They are 25-30 mins long each and the highest budget one still cost under USD$8K.

Of course it is made possible because I'm not living in the US. Things are generally slighter cheaper here.

Basically, we need to gather a small group of aspiring individuals, perferably friends, who are willing to work long hours for free. Everyone has to multi-task on set. It's almost required to have crew that can fill in multiple posistions. The same applies in post production. Luckily, we just have some simple VFX so it's doable.

Also, have to make a lot of compromises. That means very strict and tight schedule. All were shot in under 3-5 days. Crew members had to fill in for extras or even acted as important side characters. Had to walk around the city to find the cheapest places to shoot. Much of the costumes were brought from stores that have a return policy. Most importantly, tons of arguements regarding budget allocations by every departments.

Needless to say it's quite a stressful and gruesome experience. I can't imagaine making a full feature film with only $30K.