Will the phantom power dry the Zoom H4n/H6 power in only 15 minutes?

Dan Wake

I have read over internet (I do not remember where) that if I connect some shotgun mic powered only by phantom power to the Zoom H4N.... the battery will last only 15 minutes. Is that true? 

I have the Zoom H6 (the new model) and I'm tryng to save money to buy the Rode NTG3 that have not internal battery, so it only works with phantom power. How do I have to expect the performance of my recorder? Will it really last only 15 minutes? 

Thx!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

If you go to gearslutz.com, you can find posts about the H6 lasting a few hours with phantom power on. Of course, how long it lasts depends on the microphone. Most mics that are built for DSLR use should sip power at a reasonable rate.

do you think few hours are enough to work as sound designer (taking audio dialogues for short films for example)? 

thx!

If you go to gearslutz.com, you can find posts about the H6 lasting a few hours with phantom power on. Of course, how long it lasts depends on the microphone. Most mics that are built for DSLR use should sip power at a reasonable rate.

Once phantom power is on, as soon as you put it in standby or record, its sending 48 volts through the output, no matter what is or isnt plugged in. (as far as I know)

The H4N has a stamina mode that is much easier on power but you can record only in 44.1khz

Once phantom power is on, as soon as you put it in standby or record, its sending 48 volts through the output, no matter what is or isnt plugged in. (as far as I know)

The H4N has a stamina mode that is much easier on power but you can record only in 44.1khz, I prefer this trade off myself.. 

i know that audio standard for cinema is 48hz for dialogues so maybe this is not a good idea. can it go out of sync if recorded at 44hz? or slow/pitch the movie to sync? if anyone can explain why 48hz is cinema standard I will be really grateful. thx!

44.1 khz is CD quality, 48 is a bit better, you should try and see if you think its noticeable or not, editing programmes shouldnt have a problem but with old fashioned ones like FCP 7 its better to convert to 48khz first.. 

but I guess is not a question of quality here (cinema standard) it should be that if the timeline is at 48hz and I put one track at 44hz on it... it will sound faster or slower (one of the 2 not sure which).

Try to make a 96hz empty track in pro tools and then put one song recorded at 44hz without converting it at 96hz. it will sound very different (I guess really faster than normal speed).

so if this is correct and it should 48hz is a standard in the cinema not for a question of quality, but for a question of "speed". 

it should be like this difference (33 & 45) 

608097.jpg

45 is a different speed

giradischi.jpg

but I guess is not a question of quality here (cinema standard) it should be that if the timeline is at 48hz and I put one track at 44hz on it... it will sound faster or slower (one of the 2 not sure which).

Try to make a 96hz empty track in pro tools and then put one song recorded at 44hz without converting it at 96hz. it will sound very different (I guess really faster than normal speed).

so if this is correct and it should 48hz is a standard in the cinema not for a question of quality, but for a question of "speed". 

it should be like this difference (33 & 45) 

608097.jpg

45 is a different speed

giradischi.jpg

true but any modern NLE will know what sample rate the file youre importing is and adjust, 1 second will still equal 1 second..