5D III Raw video

wolf33d

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Thanks !

"tastefully soft" => lol actually I am not happy about this softness, and I do not know why is it like this ? I did nothing for it. Maybe because of the 48fps 1920x508 stretched to 1920*818 I don't know. Also the Vimeo file look softer than my original one. 

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Lovely footage. It always amazes me how you guys can get from that raw hack!

The softness is just because it's too compressed for the web (Vimeo 720p), and no download option of the full-resolution file, so it's pretty hard to appreciate this beauty...

I am sure the original footage looks lovely. Good work.

Shouldn't this go here? http://www.eoshd.com/comments/forum/6-screening-room/

I'd learn to use SpeedGrade or Resolve, if you're serious about grading. (Resolve is awesome because it's completely free!)

Now the following is totally my opinion, grading is highly subjective:

You were too aggressive and broad with your contrast adjustment. Tonality was lost and your colors became blobbed(for lack of a better word,) together.

Obviously expanding the contrast is a style thing, but because there is so little contrast between the foreground and background (no duh, you had one light source, the sun!), it doesn't work and you're only losing color.

r8n6ccV.jpg

Anyway, blah blah blah, I think there was a yellow cast in there too.

The nice thing about RAW is that there is flexibility in post and that the depth of color is awesome.  I really like the colors in this short especially the sky and ocean.  Sure the highs are maybe too clipped, but overall I think this is a good start.

Thanks for your comments. Very interesting. 

It is true that my color correction is not "standard" and not very well done. But it was a first test so I did not spend a lot of time on it. 

I would really like to get resolve, but I have a macbook pro retina 13" with no discrete GPU and I guess Resolve won't start without a discrete GPU. 

As I am coming from photoworld, I also like to be able to color grade with lightroom. I hate color grading with Premiere. The only problem is as soon as I have graded with lightroom and then converted the DNGs into .mov I can't grade the raw anymore, and I would prefer to grade after the edit and not before, with only one pic. 

If you want to use VSCO plugins you should download adobe camera profile editor and adobe dng converter.

Convert one raw image (*.cr2 photo from the camera) to dng, open that dng with the profile editor, now you also open one video raw DNG frame (the order is important). Once you have done this, go to the video raw dng, and under the list of camera profiles, select the ones you want to use (ektar,portra 160 vc,uc,400,etc...), once you got one selected, save the camera profile file *.dcp and give it the same name but replace the C with ML or whatever name you like. Now you use the specific Canon profiles, not the standart ones which are worse. Do these steps for every film type.

Any questions -> PM

Ah, if you don't want flickering you have to set, highlight and shadow recovery to zero, the same as white and black and I believe clarity too. Afterwards go to the curves and adjust the look there, go easy on the contrast ;)

Thanks for your comments. Very interesting. 

It is true that my color correction is not "standard" and not very well done. But it was a first test so I did not spend a lot of time on it. 

I would really like to get resolve, but I have a macbook pro retina 13" with no discrete GPU and I guess Resolve won't start without a discrete GPU. 

As I am coming from photoworld, I also like to be able to color grade with lightroom. I hate color grading with Premiere. The only problem is as soon as I have graded with lightroom and then converted the DNGs into .mov I can't grade the raw anymore, and I would prefer to grade after the edit and not before, with only one pic. 

If you want to do that you should use After Effects, you can import the DNG secuence and edit it as much as you want. There should be some rountrip workflow, or some way to use proxies first and then replace them with the raw secuence to finish the job and save you some time, but I don't really know about that.