Any remote backup options for CFexpress cards?

Ty Harper

My current cams use CF Cards and I've used Nexto's ND2901 portable backup unit for years with no issues. Nexto did have a newer version that accepted CFexpress cards (NPS-10) but I just noticed it's been discontinued.

Any CFexpress users with other remote backup suggestions? Or is that no longer a concern for reasons I'm completely oblivious to?

Thanks in advance!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Ty Harper said:

My current cams use CF Cards and I've used Nexto's ND2901 portable backup unit for years with no issues. Nexto did have a newer version that accepted CFexpress cards (NPS-10) but I just noticed it's been discontinued.

Any CFexpress users with other remote backup suggestions? Or is that no longer a concern for reasons I'm completely oblivious to?

Thanks in advance!

No personal experience, but some years ago when I was looking for portable backup options for the XC10 I found that some of the portable HDD backup units would backup from a USB drive, and I read that those allowed you to plug in a card reader and backup from that.

As I never confirmed it personally, don't take my work for it, but it might be a way to side-step the issues of which portable units have CF card-readers and which don't.

• 1 month later...
On 7/20/2022 at 11:58 PM, kye said:

I found that some of the portable HDD backup units would backup from a USB drive, and I read that those allowed you to plug in a card reader and backup from that.

Finally had the time to research this a bit more and you are right. My older Nexto ND2901 was able to backup footage via my Sandisk CF Express Type B reader. The caveat is it doesn't seem to be able to do it while running on batteries - it must be plugged in, so not as portable as I'd like it to be but a lifesaver no less. Either way these Nexto units have proven their worth - even as the company itself has apparently gone out of business. 

Apparently even if you were to find the NEXTO NPS-10 model used or on ebay, etc, the battery can only be replaced by the manufacturer, which is no longer in business. However the older NEXTO models have batteries you can find on ebay and replace yourself. So basically you'll want to look for the older NEXTO models which don't have CFexpress slots but can accept a card reader via its USB 3.0 port (not sure they all do though!). 

Posting for anyone googling this stuff like I was...

• 1 year later...