Upgrading from Canon 650D(Rebel T4i) to ...?

PencilPanda

Hey there

The Canon 650D(Rebel T4i) was my first DSLR and I have really enjoyed using it for the last 8+ years. A couple of years ago I started focusing on my music and posting covers and original songs online. The more I've been filming with the 650D(Rebel T4i) in this more professional setting, the more I have noticed it's holding me back in terms of video quality. I think now the time has come to finally upgrade.

I'm looking for a camera that can shoot in 4k and has good dynamic range. My budget is around 1000-1500 CHF (≈1100-1700 USD).

These are the lenses I have:
- Canon EFS 10-18mm f / 4.5-5.6 IS STM (Wide angle zoom)
- Canon EFS 18-55mm f / 3.5-5.6 IS II (Kit lens)
- Canon EFS 24mm f / 2.8 STM
- Canon EFS 50mm f / 1.8 STM
- Canon EF 75-300mm f / 4-5.6 III (Telephoto zoom)
- SIGMA 150-600mm f / 5.0-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary

Apart from filming I do enjoy shooting portraits and wildlife, especially birds – in fact, that's what I bought the Sigma lens for. It's really been awesome.

The two options I've thought about the most are the Canon 90D and the EOS R as they are in a similar price range if you look at the prices for just the body.

Pros for the 90D:
- same mounting system, no adapter required
- great for wildlife photography (APS-C crop, 10 FPS)
- optical viewfinder (which is what I'm used to)
- does 4k without a crop
- better battery life

Cons for the 90D:
- lower dynamic range (doesn't have C-LOG)/poorer lowlight performance compared to the R
- APS-C sensor, maybe less professional look compared to full-frame cameras like the R

Pros for the R:
- Full-frame sensor, more professional look
- better dynamic ranger (C-LOG), better lowlight performance
- fit for the future? (switch from DSLR to mirrorless)

Cons for the R:
- RF mounting system, adapter needed --> will all of my lenses work? RF-lenses are way too expensive for me at the moment
- 4k only with crop
- digital viewfinder (which is a con because I'm not used to it – I know it has its benefits too)
- weaker battery life compared to 90D

Given that I have collected a lot of Canon EFS lenses over the years, I'd definitely want to still being able to use them... I know there's adapters but I'm not sure how that's going to behave in terms of cropping and autofocus... 

What do you guys think? Are there some other alternatives I should also have a look at?

Suggestions are greatly appreciated 

Thanks for taking the time
Panda

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I suggest taking a total-system perspective rather than the assumption you'll keep your lenses.

Work out what you could sell them for, then price up options from all manufacturers buying the complete kit second-hand.

Canon has a lot of pros going for it, but they cripple their video functions quite severely (to get you to buy a cinema camera) so they're potentially not the best manufacturer for your needs. 

EOS R makes the most sense to me.

The crop in 4K actually works in your favor because the majority of your lenses are EF-S lenses anyways, which are APSC and not full frame. It is much easier to adapter vintage lenses with the RF mount too. So the EOS R is more future proof.

Or you can try out other brands as suggested by other posts. Panasonic and Sony are both great camera brands for videography, for example. 

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, webrunner5 said:

Yeah put a Speedbooster on the Canon R and you are back to full frame.

Did you mean "tele-adapter" instead of "speedbooster?"  Using speedbooster on his EF-S lenses will make their APS-C image circles smaller.