Is anyone interested in seeing some Olympus E-P7 footage?

John Matthews

I got the Olympus E-P7 a little over a month ago (a fantastic bundle with the venerable 75mm f/1.8). The camera is a little bit of a mixed bag, not have any PDAF. However, it does have some things going for it:

• only 330g (that's the main feature) with two dials, otherwise roughly the same as the E-M10 iv minus the viewfinder. Decent for one-handed operation.
  • 4k in all modes (world camera), 8-bit 420 (I think, but don't really care), something the PEN-F lacked
  • PEN-F style color creator mode, meaning one can control the saturation of 12 different colors for interesting out-of-camera results. In fact, due to the PEN-F coming out in 2016?, there are many settings out there to mimic film stuff or just creating interesting looks.
  • Downside of the color creator mode is that you need to work from P mode. Yes, you can use the AEL button to lock things down. Using a manual lens, it's essentially manual mode.

Does anyone have any questions about it or interesting in seeing some footage with various color-creator settings?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I mistakenly wrote "color creator" mode when I should have written "color profile" mode. Saturation can essentially be individually adjusted for 12 colors of the rainbow.  This could allow for film simulations or creating looks that emphasize certain colors (and not others). I'm not aware of any other camera that can do that in-camera. Maybe I'm mistaken?

Would love too see your findings and images. I love the tweaking and nerdy pleasures. That's what Eoshd is all about for me, much more than spec list after spec list. Very fond of the famous Oly jpeg color engine. An HD 100mbit 420 8bit codec without noise reduction from the mft 16 or 20MP sensor is all I would need. Instead I had to go with a Lumix S1 for my portable video needs. My GX85 is still with me most of the time.

• 3 months later...

Sadly, my Olympus E-P7 had to go back for repair due to some IBIS problems. I couldn't take a photo at anything under 1/15s. This was unacceptable as I could do it no problem without IBIS, hence the faulty IBIS system. They assured me it was a one-off problem and wanted to replace my black and silver one with a white one (no available spare parts an no black and silver ones left). I refused. In the end, they gave me the E-M5 iii which is also a very capable small camera. I will have to say they treated me VERY well and made EVERY effort to make me happy. I will be taking my business to them for the foreseeable future. I don't know what Olympus was like before OMDS, but I cannot imagine a drop-off in after sales service. Kudos to them.

I never really had a chance to get super cinematic video from the E-P7, but I can assure you, in the right hands, it's decent. With normally great IBIS and the ability to change the saturation of 12 individual colors, this tool seems like a creative in-camera powerhouse- and at only 337g.

I'm eagerly waiting to see what's to come from the OMDS engineering team as they have a real opportunity to make gains with many content creators as they don't have other products lines to protect.

Some day, I'll get another E-P7.