Blackmagic Prodution 4k now shipping for 3k!

TBEagle2

I kinda feel bad for Digital Bolex. They spent so much time prepping D16 and now it just seems outdated.

DB is not for everyone but it's not outdated. As Andrew mentioned the digital bolex shares the same CCD kodak truesensor used in the gorgeous Ikonoskop, which creates very film like images. So no rolling shutter, or tearing, or nasty video-ish motion rendition. The 4k has a global shutter but it's still a cmos sensor and IMO has a much more video look.

The bm4k is marketed as "production" camera and not a cinema camera, and I think the sample footage reflects why. It is superbly sharp but does not look cinematic at all (not necessarily a bad thing if that doesn't matter to you). the BM4k seems more geared towards ENG/Broadcast users and not filmmakers.

Cinemas mostly project in 2k with 12bit color space and think it's indicative of the fact that color gamut and dynamic range are far more important in creating a pleasing image than pushing resolution past 2k, IMO.  To that end if i had to pick a BM for narrative work, I'd take the bmpcc or bmcc over the 4k for increased dynamic range. For me all that matters is the final image, and the DB has the most all round pleasing to my eyes in the <$5k market.

That said, I think bm4k and d16 are slightly different markets, gh4 and bm4k are more so direct competitors.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

It still has significant unique selling points. Very impressive colour and a film like image. CCD sensor looks different to CMOS. Given choice, in good light I think I'd shoot Digital Bolex. They have better audio than Blackmagic. XLR onboard. Global shutter but with same dynamic range as the BMCC rather than the more limited dynamic range on the BMPC. I was also impressed by their crank handle follow focus though not sure how well it works in reality as not shot with one yet.

It does have a couple of advantages, but I remember them wanting to shake up the formula by giving people what they wanted with Raw. Since then Blackmagic has swooped in and dominated. I think it's cool as hell though how they were just 2 people wanting to make a special camera.

The D16 is awesome. It's like that little toy you want to get out and show off, only this toy is full of fantastic features and a gorgeous image.

If I had the money spare, I would get a D16 just for the love of the image and use it for projects that need that little bit of extra love.

As for the BM4k, it's a great price but the whole basic features/ergonomics still gets to me. I hope this will bring forth the THE Blackmagic camera, as these previous incarnations do feel like 'tests.'