Lens Hood/Matte Box with Variable ND

currensheldon

One of the main reasons I don't love using mirrorless cameras for video is the lack of internal ND. I don't mind using variable NDs, but I do hate losing my lens hood to block flare, protection, for shooting in light rain or varying weather conditions, and to increase contrast in the image. 

I'm not a huge fan of matte-boxes as they add a lot of bulk and are more to travel with and carry around (I have tried the Polar Pro Basecamp, which is pretty great). 

Anyone have a good solution for shooting with a variable ND but also being able to cover the front of their lens? 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
5 hours ago, maxmizer said:

But ... A good matte box and good ND filters make the difference on the final result ...

When you have the luxury of time to set up your shots.  Run and gun doc filming needs proper exposures at a moments notice, usually through various light levels WHILE FILMING.  I hate the variable ND affects the IQ, but I use them anyway because they're a valuable tool.

8 hours ago, fuzzynormal said:

When you have the luxury of time to set up your shots.  Run and gun doc filming needs proper exposures at a moments notice, usually through various light levels WHILE FILMING.  I hate the variable ND affects the IQ, but I use them anyway because they're a valuable tool.

So true. Screwing around with VNDs and lens hoods/clamp on matte boxes is a PITA. But unless you've got internal ND control, a VND is a must in a fast-moving doc style shooting situation. Just another reason why the C70 is an attractive option for a low-budget pro shooter, if you can swallow the Canon pill.

I agree. I will say, though, that the cheap little Tilta clamp-on mini matte box can work with a VND. The lens adapters for it do have threads, but they are recessed. The trick is that you have to us an extension ring to get most VNDs, which are have a thicker outer diameter than the lens adapter can accommodate, to fit. And, of course, unless you want to thread the adapter on and off each time you change lenses you'll have to buy separate lens adapters and extension rings for each lens you commonly use.

That will cost less than a C70, but it's still a bit annoying.