Looking for a macro slider

Amazeballs

I want to buy a relatively compact motorized slider that could be used for macro shots. Right now my eyes are on Moza Slypod e, which seems like a very good device in that regard - slick, compact, relatively light, but I am not sure how smooth it will be in a macro environment. Does anybody know? 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

This is a run through of it for macro filming (cued up at the point at which he starts talking about it) and he goes through the pros and cons.

He references that he wishes it could connect with Moza's other products and this has been subsequently happened with the linkage control feature with the Aircross 2 showcased in this next video.

I have to say I was sceptical about a real use for the Slypod when it was launched but when you now see what it can do in tandem with the Aircross 2 then as a package it offers a lot of motion control possibilities for a total price of less than £600.

I own the Edelkrone SliderONE, I would imagine if it worked properly that it would be a decent macro slider, the problem I ran into was the Bluetooth was really finicky and wouldn't connect half the time and their support sucks; I emailed them about my Bluetooth problems and they never replied. They have a V2 now which may be better but I don't like recommending companies that can't even be bothered to reply to an email.

https://edelkrone.com/products/sliderone-v2

It seems like the Moza Slypod may not be much better during real world use, it may have gotten better since Gerald's review, but it sounds like the company's support and marketing leave much to be desired. If you check the comments below the video there are a lot of complaints.

• Super Members
10 minutes ago, herein2020 said:

It may have gotten better since Gerald's review, but it sounds like the company's support and marketing leave much to be desired. If you check the comments below the video there are a lot of complaints.

His main issue, aside from the problem with the 1st one he received and the noise at higher speeds, was that the potential of what was shown with the combination with the gimbal didn't square with the reality due to the software not being able to control both simultaneously.

That was then adressed with the linkage control feature so its a pity that he didn't do a follow up when that was enabled and it looked like Moza didn't do a great job in communicating how imminent that update was as reading their responses made it appear like it was some distant development.

• Super Members
28 minutes ago, herein2020 said:

I own the Edelkrone SliderONE, I would imagine if it worked properly that it would be a decent macro slider, the problem I ran into was the Bluetooth was really finicky and wouldn't connect half the time and their support sucks; I emailed them about my Bluetooth problems and they never replied. They have a V2 now which may be better but I don't like recommending companies that can't even be bothered to reply.

Edelkrone have always struck me as a company that charge a bit of a premium but that you'd get a better level of support so thats bad to hear.

2 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Edelkrone have always struck me as a company that charge a bit of a premium but that you'd get a better level of support so thats bad to hear.

The Edelkrone SliderONE is built like a tank and seems like it could be a good product but it's useless if you can't get the app to connect. I used it on two shoots and both times it took longer to get the app to connect than it would have taken to just use a gimbal and settle for a less steady shot. So yea, it's another $500 product gathering dust in my drawer. 

I dont have Moza gimbal, I have Zhyiun Weebill S and I love it and dont want to switch it for Moza. But for my needs I dont need to combine the two, so I am still aimed toward picking up Slipod E. If zhiyun will ever release their version of slypod, I might then switch. 

Why doesn’t anybody have a slider with real on-board manual controls. I hate having to pull out a phone and use some app with Bluetooth or WiFi.

I’d like to see a slider with a motorized head where you can just use a button on the device to set mark points and then physically move the slider and motorized head all with your hands to line up the shot, hit the mark button, repeat again, hit the mark button. Then a done button and you have now programmed multiple waypoints with slider and motorized head and all you have to do is press a start button.

Have a scroll wheel to set slide speed from 1% to 100% via 0.5 steps.

I think the rhino Arc II does this? It’s just freakin huge!

Super intuitive, no app, no Bluetooth connections.

Actually, Panasonic has a built in digital live cropping. They should flesh that out for more control with a more precise speed control and key frames and perhaps even object tracking(!) Put the new feature in a new 6K or 8K GH6 and then all you need is a simple slider. Shoot a little bit wider and then after shooting the clip in playback mode you can do your digital cropping with all those features. It’s limited to how wide your lens is but would probably easily hit that 85% usefulness metric.