Rec2020 question

Tim Sewell

I should have kept up with this stuff, but I haven't, so I'm hoping for some pointers from the EOSHD hivemind. I've been shooting in OG Canon log on the C100 mk1, lately into ProRes 422HQ on a Ninja 2. I bring my files into FCPX and, when I drop Color Finale onto the clip, one of the options it gives me is to set the output target. If I set that to Rec2020 the image, as I'd expect of a wider gamut (am I right in thinking that's one of that standard's features?) looks much livelier. But what happens when I export that, in that, on my screen the exported file looks great, but if someone were to watch that on a TV, say, would it then look awful? Also, I have a bunch of film-look LUTs that take either log or 709 as input, but I can't find (at least, not with the same ease) similar collections of 2020 film look LUTs - am I missing the point, or is it a matter of the order in which I set these things?

Help!

Confused of Hove

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Only use 2020 if your grading for HDR. If you're delivering for YouTube or normal broadcast stick to rec709.

For LUTs select the format that you captured in. For example if you recorded in HLG you can use a LUT for 2020 footage. 

IDTs are for colors space transforms. For example if you're going from as log format for Canon log format to rec709 or HDR.

Wouldn't the C100 be Canon Colour Gamut and Canon Log (as opposed to C-Log 2 or 3)?  That's what I was using when processing XC10 footage from C-Log.

Essentially then you'd be converting from Canon Colour Gamut / Canon Log to Rec.709 / Rec.709 for delivering standard DR, and Canon Colour Gamut / Canon Log to Rec.2020 / Rec.2020 for delivering HDR.

After the conversion you'd then be grading the image to get the look you want before exporting.

On 7/26/2020 at 3:04 AM, kye said:

Wouldn't the C100 be Canon Colour Gamut and Canon Log (as opposed to C-Log 2 or 3)?  That's what I was using when processing XC10 footage from C-Log.

Essentially then you'd be converting from Canon Colour Gamut / Canon Log to Rec.709 / Rec.709 for delivering standard DR, and Canon Colour Gamut / Canon Log to Rec.2020 / Rec.2020 for delivering HDR.

After the conversion you'd then be grading the image to get the look you want before exporting.

Thanks for the pointer - I'll check that out!