Canon Officially Admits Major Overheating Issues for both the R5 and R6 Production Models

herein2020

I kept holding out hope that the overheating issues weren't that bad, or that they only affected the pre-production models, but Canon released official guidance that both the R5 and R6 will overheat in nearly every mode. They recommend not leaving it in direct sunlight, turning it off between takes, sitting it in front of a fan to keep it cool.....are they serious?? What's next, bring your own refrigerator to every shoot if you want to shoot for the whole day??

And before everyone starts saying but who needs to record that long and if you need to record that much footage just get a cinema camera;

• I already have a cinema camera, there are many projects where the client is not paying enough to bring it out, or the shooting conditions are so bad that I don't want to risk my cinema camera for that type of project, or it is just too big and heavy to lug through the woods just to do an interview.
  • The tables presented by Canon are for 73F ambient temps, I live in FL, 8 months out of the year it is around 90F and 100% humidity, there is no way the times won't be drastically reduced in that type of heat
  • My camera gear regularly has to sit in my car where it reaches 120F and 100% humidity and this is not something I can change. If I'm on a photo/video shoot my gear has to sit in the car until I'm ready to shoot video or vice versa, if I'm flying a drone, or shooting underwater, or coordinating with the customer or any number of other things the safest place for the rest of my gear is usually in my car...that's not going to change.
  • For those that say just shoot in a lower resolution mode. Why?? If you buy a camera with a 50MP sensor would you be ok with only being able to take 10MP pictures most of the time? I shoot nearly everything with my GH5 at 4K60FPS....so after paying $6000 for a new body and lenses for it I should be ok with shooting at 4K30FPS?
  • And what about multiple quick takes at 98F and 100% humidity? How many of those do you get before you get thermally shutdown?

All Canon had to do was pull a page from Panasonic's playbook and make the R6H with a larger body, cooling fans, no recording limits, and backup video recording and I would have been perfectly happy.

Reference link: https://www.canonrumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/Canon-EOS-R5-and-R6-Overheating-Media-Alert.pdf

recordtimesheat.png

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The R6's video might still be slightly better, especially in low light, and the AF will definitely be better in the R6 if that's important to you. It also uses the full width of the sensor with almost no crop even in modes where it won't overheat. I would recommend though that you wait out the pre-order hype and see how bad the overheating issues are in the real world. It is unlike Canon to release something that has a fundamental hardware flaw but it is also unlike them to release a camera that overheats so I wouldn't buy one until there's plenty of real world evidence that any other problems that are found can be fixed through firmware.

8 hours ago, herein2020 said:

I kept holding out hope that the overheating issues weren't that bad, or that they only affected the pre-production models, but Canon released official guidance that both the R5 and R6 will overheat in nearly every mode. They recommend not leaving it in direct sunlight, turning it off between takes, sitting it in front of a fan to keep it cool.....are they serious?? What's next, bring your own refrigerator to every shoot if you want to shoot for the whole day??

And before everyone starts saying but who needs to record that long and if you need to record that much footage just get a cinema camera;

• I already have a cinema camera, there are many projects where the client is not paying enough to bring it out, or the shooting conditions are so bad that I don't want to risk my cinema camera for that type of project, or it is just too big and heavy to lug through the woods just to do an interview.
  • The tables presented by Canon are for 73F ambient temps, I live in FL, 8 months out of the year it is around 90F and 100% humidity, there is no way the times won't be drastically reduced in that type of heat
  • My camera gear regularly has to sit in my car where it reaches 120F and 100% humidity and this is not something I can change. If I'm on a photo/video shoot my gear has to sit in the car until I'm ready to shoot video or vice versa, if I'm flying a drone, or shooting underwater, or coordinating with the customer or any number of other things the safest place for the rest of my gear is usually in my car...that's not going to change.
  • For those that say just shoot in a lower resolution mode. Why?? If you buy a camera with a 50MP sensor would you be ok with only being able to take 10MP pictures most of the time? I shoot nearly everything with my GH5 at 4K60FPS....so after paying $6000 for a new body and lenses for it I should be ok with shooting at 4K30FPS?
  • And what about multiple quick takes at 98F and 100% humidity? How many of those do you get before you get thermally shutdown?

All Canon had to do was pull a page from Panasonic's playbook and make the R6H with a larger body, cooling fans, no recording limits, and backup video recording and I would have been perfectly happy.

Reference link: https://www.canonrumors.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/07/Canon-EOS-R5-and-R6-Overheating-Media-Alert.pdf

recordtimesheat.png

We really needed another thread about this.... there are at least 3 threads already

15 minutes ago, gt3rs said:

We really needed another thread about this.... there are at least 3 threads already

The difference is every other thread was based on pre-production models and heresay. Also Canon had not publicly admitted the problem also exists in the R6 until now.

• Administrators

The initial information was official as well.

It was never a pre-production issue that would go away in the retail box camera.

That's the Jared Polin line.

We don't need another thread with the same topic as the others so this one is being binned.