Jump to content

Favorite lenses FD 24 1.4L


noone

Recommended Posts

On 4/21/2021 at 3:48 AM, noone said:

Flares are not something I use really.

i'm the opposite i guess, i do enjoy a good flare¬†ūüėÄ

its been awhile since i checked ebay... Those prices seemed to of really jumped up. In aussie $ i could get a 50mm f1.4¬†ssc for $150 or so the 50mm f1.2 jump up to $500 for an average one, then an L series starts at like $1000. Should probably remortgage the house, buy a couple and pray the price keeps going up.¬†ūüėÄ

12 hours ago, kye said:

.  and lastly, lenses don't last forever and wear out or get broken.

So..  increasing demand + decreasing numbers available + no additional supply = prices go up

the thing is apart from some models having the dissolving bearing issue, most vintage lens should last a good long time. When you think about it vintage stuff is made from metals that are machined with close tolerances and are rotating less than 360 degrees, with a supply of grease. Most likely you could call that pretty much,  the optimum situation for a machine. Barr working in the artic perhaps. 

i think the bigger problem is lens reviews like mark holtze and zenography waxing lyrical on the youtube reviews. Still i cant complain.... perhaps i myself, should have jumped on the bandwagon earlier¬†¬†¬†ūüėČ

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, leslie said:

i'm the opposite i guess, i do enjoy a good flare¬†ūüėÄ

its been awhile since i checked ebay... Those prices seemed to of really jumped up. In aussie $ i could get a 50mm f1.4¬†ssc for $150 or so the 50mm f1.2 jump up to $500 for an average one, then an L series starts at like $1000. Should probably remortgage the house, buy a couple and pray the price keeps going up.¬†ūüėÄ

the thing is apart from some models having the dissolving bearing issue, most vintage lens should last a good long time. When you think about it vintage stuff is made from metals that are machined with close tolerances and are rotating less than 360 degrees, with a supply of grease. Most likely you could call that pretty much,  the optimum situation for a machine. Barr working in the artic perhaps. 

i think the bigger problem is lens reviews like mark holtze and zenography waxing lyrical on the youtube reviews. Still i cant complain.... perhaps i myself, should have jumped on the bandwagon earlier¬†¬†¬†ūüėČ

You forgot about people dropping them, fungus, rust, and botched attempts to fix them.

In terms of getting on the bandwagon earlier, I bet these manual lenses were at rock bottom prices when AF reached significant market penetration, so that was probably the time to buy.  I bet if you went to the right places you could have bought boxes of them, maybe by weight.

Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, kye said:

You forgot about people dropping them, fungus, rust, and botched attempts to fix them.

In terms of getting on the bandwagon earlier, I bet these manual lenses were at rock bottom prices when AF reached significant market penetration, so that was probably the time to buy.  I bet if you went to the right places you could have bought boxes of them, maybe by weight.

i'm embarrassed to confess... i have a botched attempt sitting at the back of my desk. Not too many issues with a prime, but i come unstuck with a zoom. Fiddly little buggers¬†ūüė≥¬†

It sits there to remind me about biting off more than i can chew at times. One day i might get it repaired if i stumble across a suitable repairer.

not sure what age i got a camera but the last film camera was a canon t90 which still works. never dropped a lens in all that time. Everything made by man can use a little maintenance from time to time. Thats just how it is.

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, leslie said:

i'm embarrassed to confess... i have a botched attempt sitting at the back of my desk. Not too many issues with a prime, but i come unstuck with a zoom. Fiddly little buggers¬†ūüė≥¬†

It sits there to remind me about biting off more than i can chew at times. One day i might get it repaired if i stumble across a suitable repairer.

not sure what age i got a camera but the last film camera was a canon t90 which still works. never dropped a lens in all that time. Everything made by man can use a little maintenance from time to time. Thats just how it is.

I've heard zoom lenses are super tricky to service, so you wouldn't be alone.  Also, unless it's an Angenieux or something then it doesn't really matter - most of the zoom lenses ever made are cheap now because they were common in the past and undesirable now.  

I've recently started exploring the FB film-making and equipment groups and vintage lenses with dented filter rings are common, people posting "I bought this lens from a seller who said 'no fungus' but look at these pictures - should I return it?" is common, and I've seen more than one post of "I'm abandoning my attempt to convert my collection of <famous vintage lens name> lenses, lens repairer X quoted me $Y and all the parts are here - offers above $Z please".

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, the price of these lenses have skyrocketed. Have a look at the asking price for the nFD 24mm f/2... it's over $1000... that lens could be bought for around $200 a little over a year ago.

They've gotten so high, I am seriously considering selling my EF modified 50mm 1.2 L.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, mercer said:

Yeah, the price of these lenses have skyrocketed. Have a look at the asking price for the nFD 24mm f/2... it's over $1000... that lens could be bought for around $200 a little over a year ago.

They've gotten so high, I am seriously considering selling my EF modified 50mm 1.2 L.

This is simply crazy!      I just looked again and all the 24 f2s are listed at or over $1000 Australian and many for a lot more.

One glimmer of hope is if you look up sold items, while there are lots of f2s above (and some well above) $1000, there are some for lower and even the odd few around $500-$600.     Ones that have auctions rather than BIN seem to go about $800 or so     Japan seems to have some of the cheaper ones (along with the dearer ones).

The 24 2.8s are much better still but then there are zillions of similar lenses including better newer ones.

I think I might take my 1.4 to a camera shop in Sydney/Brisbane/Melbourne next time I go to one of them and see if I can trade it for a gold Leica (ok maybe just something interesting.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...