550d user looking to upgrade

jagnje

Hello, I`ve read a few pages here, leaving them more confused as I was when I started :)

I`ve been using the 550d for the past 2 years with various builds of magic lantern. I`ve been somewhat pleased with what I could get out of the camera. I have been seeing all the great raw and all kinds of footage lately from all sort of cameras and it has got me wondering if maybe it`s time to upgrade.

I like the look of raw videos, but going on 2 week skate trips to film would leave me with 5TB of raw footage and I really don`t want that. Since there is no inbetween option on Canon that h.264 and raw I started looking at other cameras, but really don`t know that would be appropriate for me.

I`ve been eyeballing the black magic pocket camera, GHXXXX series...anything sub 1000$ basically.

I need as much dynamic range as I can get and an angle of 16+-mm on a full frame. I`ve been using 8mm fisheye on the 550d, but I could get away with a little narover angle. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I too have a 550D and currently I plan to order a Blackmagic Pocket. It would be hard for you to get that wide angle on such a small sensor (16/3 = 5mm, so you will need a lens that has around 5mm focal length for it to be equal to fullframe 16mm). Today I looked at this page for SD Card info about the BMPCC. Recording time are really low for even the highest SDs so I am planning on using ProRes. If you need really wide for skating then GH series is better I think.

Footage looks really nice! How about lenses? I have a bunch of m42 primes, I guess being a smaller sensor I can use those on it as well right?

I got used to shoot with really flat picture style on the 550d...is this something that I can achieve on G6 as well, and is it even neccesary?

I can recommend the G6.  I come from a T2i, moved up to a T3i with Tragic Lantern (and a Nex5 for slow mo).

I just shot a music video with the G6, it's a whole different world.  The resolution compared to a Canon is incredible. 

The only downside is that you lose a bit of low light performance.  However, the G6 lets you shoot up to 3200 ISO with no problem (where my Canon at 1600 ISO looked horrible).  The G6's noise if much finer and grainlike, where the Canon has ugly macroblocking.

I still have my T3i, but am not touching it for video anymore.  

For stills though, it still beats the G6.

But the G6 is probably the best videohybrid you can buy right now.

Footage looks really nice! How about lenses? I have a bunch of m42 primes, I guess being a smaller sensor I can use those on it as well right?

I got used to shoot with really flat picture style on the 550d...is this something that I can achieve on G6 as well, and is it even neccesary?

yes you can use all your m42 primes , plus almost any other mount too as micro 4/3 will take alot more lenses than a canon can

so you can use Minolta, Praktica Bayonet, Contax N Mount, Konica mount , Pentax 110 , c mount , Rolli QBM , the list is endless!!

plus all these lenses go alot cheaper as you cant use them on a Canon .....I mean really cheap on ebay

The g6 has flat picture styles you can shoot on , I use Natural with contrast and saturation dialed down to -3 .......it works well for me

I do find the 14-42 mm kit lens to be useful - it is very very sharp and has aspheric elements

and image stabalisation which is useful too - I use this lens outside alot for run and gun situations

dont confuse Canons kit lenses with Panasonics , the Panny lens is very good unlike Canons kit lens

F35 vs option 3

Global shutter, higher resolution for far more detail-downsamples from 12.4mp ccd revolutionary super 35mm sensor, better skin tones, richer colors, 4:4:4 colorspace, processes color far more efficiently for each pixel, 10 bit uncompressed,12 bit w/srmemory, drastically higher dynamic range. NIKON D5300 beats F35 in dynamic range only, gh3,gm1,g6 beats the f35 in nothing except weighs less. sony F35 -24lbs , two weeks ago i did deadlifts 520 lbs for 5 times so sony f35's weight should be of no concern.

My uncle happens to be a professional fitness trainer and can deadlift 580lbs and prefers the gh3 and panasonic stuff because he is into cavediving and there is no way a f35 would work underwater unless you had a death wish! Pick the best tool for the job!

What kind of spam troll user is this user called "F35...........i like that."???

REALLY.

Original post reads "I`ve been eyeballing the black magic pocket camera, GHXXXX series...anything sub 1000$ basically". Any comparison to a Sony F35 in that case is very irrelevant, even more so when writing about it post after post.

As for the original poster:

Some of the most interesting alternatives will be Nikon D5300 or Panasonic G6 at that budget. Another interesting thing for skate videos is that both support 50p/60p at 1080, which will be useful for slowmotion. As for ultra wide angle alternatives for m4/3, I'm not so sure about what alternatives there are for such a small sensor. For D5300 there's at least a 10-20mm lens and a 10.5mm fisheye lens that might be useful.