Canon announce 35mm full frame 4K DSLR!!

Andrew Reid

44 minutes ago, kye said:

An A7III type camera from Canon that had a good codecs, DPAF, canon colours and reliability, and had 1080 that was downscaled instead of upscaled would be a win for me!

Yeah that is what is crazy to me about Canon. With their Color Science and DPAF if they made a decent effort they would rule the roost like they say. I mean how hard is that to just pretty much have a C100 mk I in a mirrorless form factor using the FF readout not downsampled. Heck they would sell all they could manufacture. They would Have to make more money selling thousands of those cameras than C100 mk I's. My God it has to be all about the money. What isn't! Just do it. But Like Andrew says I guess they can't scan the sensor fast enough to do it in FF, so it maybe a APSC readout in 4K like he says. Bummer.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

An angry man called Ken is absolutely adamant on his YouTube channel that Nikon are using Towerjazz sensors rather than Sony.

Curiously enough, I was at Nikon in Shinagawa a couple of weeks ago visiting their museum and to get to it you have to go through the lobby that has the waiting area for the company HQ. When I was leaving, there was a crew sat waiting in reception with gear for film making rather than photography and one of them was holding a D850-ish sized camera that I would swear blind had no model number in the usual place ......

6 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

An angry man called Ken is absolutely adamant on his YouTube channel that Nikon are using Towerjazz sensors rather than Sony.

Curiously enough, I was at Nikon in Shinagawa a couple of weeks ago visiting their museum and to get to it you have to go through the lobby that has the waiting area for the company HQ. When I was leaving, there was a crew sat waiting in reception with gear for film making rather than photography and one of them was holding a D850-ish sized camera that I would swear blind had no model number in the usual place ......

Was it a DSLR or a Mirrorless? Maybe Gaffer tape over the #? I don't think it is written in stone that a mirrorless camera has to be small. Look at the Panny GH_ line, damn big for a mirrorless. As big as a APSC Rebel.

• Super Members
1 minute ago, webrunner5 said:

Was it a DSLR or a Mirrorless? Maybe Gaffer tape over the #?

That is the $64000 question.

Or more likely the $6400 question ;)

It was DSLR shaped but so are mirrorless so it wouldn't rule either out. It was definitely D850 looking size and yes the number may well have been taped over.

Not sure why they'd be so shy sitting in Nikon's foyer area with a Nikon camera of course but who knows. After using Nikon cameras for 40 years though, I can definitely spot a model number at 40 paces and this did not have one ;)

Take it all with a pinch of salt, of course. It might well have just been a complete coincidence. I was jet lagged and euphoric after playing with a prototype of their 1200-1700mm lens as well!

9 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Yeah that is what is crazy to me about Canon. With their Color Science and DPAF if they made a decent effort they would rule the roost like they say. I mean how hard is that to just pretty much have a C100 mk I in a mirrorless form factor using the FF readout not downsampled. Heck they would sell all they could manufacture. They would Have to make more money selling thousands of those cameras than C100 mk I's. My God it has to be all about the money. What isn't! Just do it. But Like Andrew says I guess they can't scan the sensor fast enough to do it in FF, so it maybe a APSC readout in 4K like he says. Bummer.

Yeah..  The way I read it is that people have to choose between the features of the competitors and the reliability, DPAF, and colour science from Canon.  We buy what we buy despite the weaknesses.

Canon have shown with the XC10/15 that they can fit the guts of a 4K cinema camera in a very small package, and they've shown they can fit the guts of an APS-C DSLR in a small package. A camera somewhere in-between the XC10 and the C100 in both size and functionality would mean that people could buy Canon and it would be because of the features, not despite the lack of them!

9 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

It's a rare glimpse into the dark underbelly of camera modifications..  like the people who grind off the VIN from stolen cars and serial numbers from guns!! ?