Beastgrip for mobile photography accessories

Emanuel

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...

This is becoming much more interesting each day...

Here's such an irresistible anamorphic route which touches everything...

1.33X Anamorphic Lens adapter (on budget)

and no less, some other infinite roads apparently unexpected ones over here... definitely among a few of you : )

No love about these thingies gets you nowhere... if so, I don't know what cinema is anymore, really ; )

- EAG

13 minutes ago, kye said:

Wow, that's a misleading use of a test chart!

I don't doubt but must tell you it is the less important take to get my attention to ; ) Well, I confess, I love small toys even those called or labeled as PRO to sell or be used for real outcome on set : ) Comes to mind those usual old lists BBC approved, today more prone to have a different name on the customary Netflix approved picks for acquisition : D

1 hour ago, PannySVHS said:

Guess you won't be able to answer phone calls with that constuction around it and with another construction around it.:)

This was always the problem I had with using a phone on manual settings - you are forced to choose one of the following:

• Buy the latest phone and use it as a phone and camera, and use a rig for the camera use
    Crap option because you now don't have good access to your phone, plus you risk interruptions from calls / notifications or have to use aeroplane mode and miss potentially important things

• Buy the latest phone and use it as a phone and camera, with some sort of rig that easily removed for the camera use
    Almost any clip-on/off rig (even just an ND) is normally incompatible with proper cases that protect the phone, either requiring you use their protective case (which is invariably a POS), or you take the proper case on and off (which is hard to do and damages them quickly), or you have to use the phone without much drop/scratch protection

• Buy the latest phone as camera and use your old phone as phone
    If I just paid a bunch of money for a phone that is only a camera, why didn't I just buy a proper camera?
  • Buy two of the latest phones, one for phone, one for camera
    Same as above.

• Buy an older phone as camera
    Same as above, with the possible exception of buying an android phone that can shoot RAW

I also did a deep-dive on the setups that use ground glass and a real lens and the image had huge problems - if any camera looked like that then it would be laughed off the internet.

One potential exception is that newer designs seem to use the MagSafe attachment to hold a filter / ND, which might actually be an acceptable solution for filters, but not likely strong enough for lenses.

3 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

Is that you? @EmanuelYou've gotten big arms from using that thing for your phone. Guess you won't be able to answer phone calls with that constuction around it and with another construction around it.:)

You need to click that link up there to find my "big arms" if any ; ) to hold that thing... : D Now go back there and take a look on the " t-e-r-r-i-b-l-e " stuff they are able to extract from there... Or better call it terrific?! Well, I end confused! LMAO ; ) But you need to watch it to begin with, as usual, buddy ;- ) The toys these guys invent nowadays... And so lovely to think a hard case is still a hard case, isn't it? LOL : )

That said, you know what ideas that Beastgrip (BTW as disclaimer, I am customer of them) outfit gives to me?

The 37mm thread to couple to the AcePro before or as alternative to a Back-Bone release and extra glass use from either lens adapters, filters, suchlike :- )

1 hour ago, kye said:

This was always the problem I had with using a phone on manual settings - you are forced to choose one of the following:

• Buy the latest phone and use it as a phone and camera, and use a rig for the camera use
    Crap option because you now don't have good access to your phone, plus you risk interruptions from calls / notifications or have to use aeroplane mode and miss potentially important things

• Buy the latest phone and use it as a phone and camera, with some sort of rig that easily removed for the camera use
    Almost any clip-on/off rig (even just an ND) is normally incompatible with proper cases that protect the phone, either requiring you use their protective case (which is invariably a POS), or you take the proper case on and off (which is hard to do and damages them quickly), or you have to use the phone without much drop/scratch protection

A mobile phone is still a mobile phone. Maybe iPhones are less phones than the leftover but personally I've found them to provide a good fun for a ride but when overheat they are just a brick... In any case, when not, you can obviously forget them as communications device if you're using them for something else other than its primary use.

1 hour ago, kye said:
  • Buy the latest phone as camera and use your old phone as phone
    If I just paid a bunch of money for a phone that is only a camera, why didn't I just buy a proper camera?
    Same as above.

Same as above, with the possible exception of buying an android phone that can shoot RAW

Because a camera is not a phone. There are many times you won't have any other device with you and the best camera is the one you hold with you in your hands when needed.

1 hour ago, kye said:

(...) why didn't I just buy a proper camera?

Same as above.

Same as above (...)

It doesn't exist that, only a camera : ) You buy a system, not a camera. Full of many lenses and so on.

A camera looks a camera.

I give you an example, no, two.

June 29, 2023. Public event. People don't like to be shot. Law is at shooter's disposal. Public place in that jurisdiction means consentment for acquisition. Its usage is something different, in any case no one can impede you to shoot in any way other than when start to threat the camera crew.

January 1, 2024. Identical episode. In the beginning, only because of the capture devices used, people in a public event had no idea they were filmed. So, spontaneous footage with people dancing and so on was possible to gather and gather. Until the moment, people realize where the cameras are. End of fun. End of good footage.

Here are two examples where the PRO device is the one capable to still produce footage in the memory card or any other storage location. Get the idea? This means a lot to those involved in the field.

The point is the technology is there. These people of Back-Bone, Beastgrip and so one, they are solid players to really help the independent film communities.

Playing the part of the film crews twenty years ago doesn't help at all, just for the sake of the art and this craft, if not anything else :- )

1 hour ago, kye said:

I also did a deep-dive on the setups that use ground glass and a real lens and the image had huge problems - if any camera looked like that then it would be laughed off the internet.

Speaking of devil...

1 hour ago, Emanuel said:

You need to click that link up there to find my "big arms" if any ; ) to hold that thing... : D Now go back there and take a look on the " t-e-r-r-i-b-l-e " stuff they are able to extract from there... Or better call it terrific?! Well, I end confused! LMAO ; ) But you need to watch it to begin with, as usual, buddy ;- ) The toys these guys invent nowadays... And so lovely to think a hard case is still a hard case, isn't it? LOL : )

That said, you know what ideas that Beastgrip (BTW as disclaimer, I am customer of them) outfit gives to me?

The 37mm thread to couple to the AcePro before or as alternative to a Back-Bone release and extra glass use from either lens adapters, filters, suchlike :- )

A mobile phone is still a mobile phone. Maybe iPhones are less phones than the leftover but personally I've found them to provide a good fun for a ride but when overheat they are just a brick... In any case, when not, you can obviously forget them as communications device if you're using them for something else other than its primary use.

Because a camera is not a phone. There are many times you won't have any other device with you and the best camera is the one you hold with you in your hands when needed.

It doesn't exist that, only a camera : ) You buy a system, not a camera. Full of many lenses and so on.

A camera looks a camera.

I give you an example, no, two.

June 29, 2023. Public event. People don't like to be shot. Law is at shooter's disposal. Public place in that jurisdiction means consentment for acquisition. Its usage is something different, in any case no one can impede you to shoot in any way other than when start to threat the camera crew.

January 1, 2024. Identical episode. In the beginning, only because of the capture devices used, people in a public event had no idea they were filmed. So, spontaneous footage with people dancing and so on was possible to gather and gather. Until the moment, people realize where the cameras are. End of fun. End of good footage.

Here are two examples where the PRO device is the one capable to still produce footage in the memory card or any other storage location. Get the idea? This means a lot to those involved in the field.

The point is the technology is there. These people of Back-Bone, Beastgrip and so one, they are solid players to really help the independent film communities.

Playing the part of the film crews twenty years ago doesn't help at all, just for the sake of the art and this craft, if not anything else :- )

Speaking of devil...

Stealth can be one motivator, that's definitely true.  The MagSafe quick-attached ND / filter holders would be suitable for such a thing, if you wanted a 180 shutter and manual experience.  The fact the back of the phone doesn't look like a phone might even help to disguise the filming activity.  

If you're pointing the camera at someone the other strategy is to pose, like you're taking selfies instead of using the rear-cameras to shoot other people.  That's probably the mobile phone equivalent of Wingrand constantly fumbling with his SLR  so people think he's an incompetent old man who doesn't know how to hold a camera, rather than someone taking photos.

I stand corrected on the BeastGrip adapter - the MK3 DOF adapter seems to look just fine, unlike the previous ones which had the optical performance of a lens from the 1800's.  Still, it's not a good option if you also want to be stealthy!

8 hours ago, kye said:

Stealth can be one motivator, that's definitely true.  The MagSafe quick-attached ND / filter holders would be suitable for such a thing, if you wanted a 180 shutter and manual experience.  The fact the back of the phone doesn't look like a phone might even help to disguise the filming activity.  

If you're pointing the camera at someone the other strategy is to pose, like you're taking selfies instead of using the rear-cameras to shoot other people.  That's probably the mobile phone equivalent of Wingrand constantly fumbling with his SLR  so people think he's an incompetent old man who doesn't know how to hold a camera, rather than someone taking photos.

I stand corrected on the BeastGrip adapter - the MK3 DOF adapter seems to look just fine, unlike the previous ones which had the optical performance of a lens from the 1800's.  Still, it's not a good option if you also want to be stealthy!

It's a bit like a blanket... if you push one side, the other one will end undercovered LOL ; ) Maybe 'cause of that I bought a couple of Zenfone 7 Pro devices with their retractable camera.

Overheating and much of a distraction a smartphone is, are a PITA anyway.

The AcePro will give it a try. I wonder how those Beastgrip glass add-ons will work out. That anamorphic adapter in both 1.33x and 1.55x versions look like sweet, though ;- )

I wonder about this:

17 hours ago, Emanuel said:

Not the best of the news we would like to hear anyway, here is a fresh first review...

That's more like the performance I remember from previous models.

Field curvature is a thing, which he doesn't test in the video, so that might be the cause of some edge softness.  For example here is an article with graphs:
https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2019/11/practical-use-of-field-curvature-graphs-the-50mm-primes/

It is odd that such a setup would have these issues more than the lens itself, considering that I thought the setup was just the lens projecting onto ground glass that the phone focused on.  Or are there additional optics inside the mechanism?  If so, that's probably the cause.

The focus peaking not showing up is just because the setup is very soft, this is a common problem when using vintage lenses.