PPro CC2019 - Color Grade w/ Lumetri + Grain?

User

Happy New Folks.
So I've been thinking of moving away from the FilmConvert PPro plugin, but I always found it fairly decent to get acceptable results fast.
In moving to CC2019, I've found that it is easy to get fairly decent results fast in Lumetri, but it has no grain feature to hide less than perfect footage with.
As near as I understand it, I could add another track in the timeline and use something like Gorilla Grain but I have enough tracks going on.
Is there some other way to add grain without using plugins or adding another track on the timeline? PPro CC2019 has a noise effect but that's not grain.
Anyone?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
20 minutes ago, mercer said:

How about using FilmConvert with just the grain added?

Hi Mercer, thanks for jumping in... I see neither of have anything better to be doing on New Years ;)
Your suggestion works, I guess I just wondering how to get away from plugins in general... because after transporting a large doc film from CC2014 to CC2019 I see that the FilmConvert settings that were placed on the clips in CC2014, have somehow changed in CC2019.

I had said that PPro's noise isn't grain, but I'm fooling around with noise now and wonder if I'm wrong about that.

25 minutes ago, User said:

Hi Mercer, thanks for jumping in... I see neither of have anything better to be doing on New Years ;)
Your suggestion works, I guess I just wondering how to get away from plugins in general... because after transporting a large doc film from CC2014 to CC2019 I see that the FilmConvert settings that were placed on the clips in CC2014, have somehow changed in CC2019.

I had said that PPro's noise isn't grain, but I'm fooling around with noise now and wonder if I'm wrong about that.

It might be worthwhile doing a side-by-side comparison of the noise and the film grain, and trying to emulate it with effects.  I have no idea how PP works, but perhaps adding a semi-transparent blur to the grain (or some other simple effect) might get it close enough to do the trick when applied to real footage?

3 minutes ago, mercer said:

Have you tried grain overlays? I believe Noam Kroll May have some custom ones.

- Thank you for the Noam Kroll suggestion. I tried Gorilla Grain, but it means a bunch of extra steps to an already complicated timeline with little room for more tracks.

5 minutes ago, kye said:

It might be worthwhile doing a side-by-side comparison of the noise and the film grain, and trying to emulate it with effects.  I have no idea how PP works, but perhaps adding a semi-transparent blur to the grain (or some other simple effect) might get it close enough to do the trick when applied to real footage? 

- Hi Kye, good suggestion as well. The only filter effect that seems to get me in the grain department is Noise... which I now see has some kind of issue with spiking the luminance level of the clip blowing out highlights by a small amount even at 1%... bless Adobe's buggy little heart.

Hmmmm... maybe I go mix a drink...

You run on a Mac don’t you? iMovie has a beautiful grain... so much so that the default grain filter in FCPX is called iMovie Grain. I think it’s a leftover from iMovie HD days. But I guess rendering out a copy of your film through iMovie just for the grain would be as appealing as licking a hyena’s butt crack. 

30 minutes ago, mercer said:

But I guess rendering out a copy of your film through iMovie just for the grain would be as appealing as licking a hyena’s butt crack. 

I guess it depends if one can cuddle with that hyena after ;)

x1.png