GH5 S - crop and adapter...

Wynand

Maybe an already asked question (although I could not find it directly...) but I have the GH5 S.  I also have a GH4 and use it with my normal Metabones XL (.64).  As discussed on the forum the XL is/was made for the GH4 and not for the GH5... Having said that, the GH5 S has an even wider sensor!  I mainly shoot with Rokinon / Samyang CINE lenses - all manual.  My FF Samyang 85mm works well on the GH5 S via the XL BUT my Rokinon CINE 10mm APSC has an issue (showing two black lines on both sides of the lens / sensor...)  Question then... will the Metabones Ultra .71 be enough to eliminate this?? Many thanks for the much needed info in advance!!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

GH5S + x0.64 focal reducer gives a larger than APS-C FoV, in fact it is beginning to near on vistavision/FF FoV!

GH5S + x0.71 gives a bit larger than APS-C FoV, but not by so much. 

Thus an APS-C designed lens might or might not work, depending on the lens. As many lenses do cover a bit larger image circle (so as to improve edge performance). Also it depends on how you're going to use it, a lens which might slightly vignette for 16:9 won't if you crop the image for a 2.39:1 aspect ratio. 

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

GH5S + x0.64 focal reducer gives a larger than APS-C FoV, in fact it is beginning to near on vistavision/FF FoV!

GH5S + x0.71 gives a bit larger than APS-C FoV, but not by so much. 

Thus an APS-C designed lens might or might not work, depending on the lens. As many lenses do cover a bit larger image circle (so as to improve edge performance). Also it depends on how you're going to use it, a lens which might slightly vignette for 16:9 won't if you crop the image for a 2.39:1 aspect ratio. 

Great advice. Informative post. Eh, out of likes. ?