HDMI and USB Issue

KnightsFan

One of the biggest annoyances about the NX1 for me is that the HDMI output and USB recharging barely work together. If anyone else has overcome this issue, please let me know.

Essentially, if there is a USB cable attached to the NX1, but the cable is not attached to a powerbank when the camera is powered on, the HDMI output will not work at all.

My ideal setup is to power the camera from a TalentCell powerbank, which also powers my monitor (fantastic solution, btw, it runs all day and can even be tethered to an AC outlet). To that end, I 3D printed a clamp that holds both an HDMI and USB adapter. It's sturdy and great for cable management.

clamp.thumb.jpg.24658dcf2cbf82ee826fd0fe88ea0e42.jpg

However, if I power on the camera without attaching the USB cable to the power bank first, the HDMI out will not output any signal at all. For example, if I power on the camera as it is seen above, with right angle adapters in place that go nowhere, then there will be no way to get an HDMI signal out of the camera--- I would have to power off, attach the USB cable to my powerbank, and then power the camera back on.

Pretty much any other combination works perfectly: if the camera is powered on without the right angle adapters in place, no issues. I can even disconnect the USB cable after powering on the camera, and HDMI will continue to work. It really just seems to be an issue of whether there is a USB cable -to-nowhere at the moment that the NX1 is switched on.

Has anyone else encountered this, or even better, overcome this?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

There are two USB modes, Mass Storage and Remote Access.

In Mass Storage mode, the camera will lock up if a USB cable is plugged in (such as a permanent right angle adapter...)

It's in Remote Access that I get the HDMI glitch.

True, the batteries last a long time compared to many other cameras. But 90% of my shots are on a tripod with room for a massive battery, so it's a choice between changing batteries every two hours, or never having to worry about batteries.

15 hours ago, KnightsFan said:

There are two USB modes, Mass Storage and Remote Access.

+1

i keep nx1 in RemoteAccess mode, and always charg-ing and hdmi-ing torgether.

+1 for 3d item, because one of my nx1 has been in service after hdmi cable was touched not realy freandly...

9 hours ago, IKSLIM said:

+1 for 3d item, because one of my nx1 has been in service after hdmi cable was touched not realy freandly...

Exactly. I can just do away with the USB cable clamp, so that I can unplug it when necessary to avoid the glitch, but it's a lot less sturdy.

@iamoui Thanks for the suggestion! I considered that early on. But I like powering both the monitor and camera (and any other accessories) from the same powerbank. Furthermore, the battery grip will add extra height, which throws the balance off my rig.

If this glitch can't be solved, I'm satisfied with having a non-permanent USB cable that I can detach when necessary. And eventually I hope to figure out a way to have it "quick release." But it would certainly be ideal if there was a way to work properly with the setup I shared in the photo.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/18/2018 at 7:25 AM, Drew Veeneman said:

Interesting... I thought the whole camera shutdown when the usb cable was plugged in. Never tried that...

As a side-note, in my experience the NX1 batteries last a pretty long time, around 2 hours or so.

Longer if you have the grip installed.

On 7/19/2018 at 8:44 AM, KnightsFan said:

Exactly. I can just do away with the USB cable clamp, so that I can unplug it when necessary to avoid the glitch, but it's a lot less sturdy.

@iamoui Thanks for the suggestion! I considered that early on. But I like powering both the monitor and camera (and any other accessories) from the same powerbank. Furthermore, the battery grip will add extra height, which throws the balance off my rig.

If this glitch can't be solved, I'm satisfied with having a non-permanent USB cable that I can detach when necessary. And eventually I hope to figure out a way to have it "quick release." But it would certainly be ideal if there was a way to work properly with the setup I shared in the photo.

If you are using the 16-50mm lens you need the grip, otherwise the lens hits the bridge of the tripod mount, lol. Unless you are using some sort of riser to get the necessary clearance.