somewhat painful... NX-None

Juxx989

On ‎2‎/‎17‎/‎2018 at 10:58 PM, webrunner5 said:

Well I think it was just Samsung's way of showing the world that they COULD make a killer camera right out of the box, and yeah it sold pretty well but they must have been spooked by Sony going balls to the wall at the time with new camera after new camera. They knew Canon, Nikon was no threat on Mirrorless. Who the hell knows.

The money part of it had to amount to a pimple on a dogs ass for them at the time.

Not long afterwards they got Canon's DPAF in their cell phones, so shutting down the camera business was probably part of that transaction. They just did what they thought would generate more money for them in the end, and that was to give their cell phones an edge. Samsung never seemed to take marketing the NX1 very seriously, the whole thing may have been a tactic to scare Canon into coming to an agreement to license PDAF for use in cell phones. So, they did a tech dump into the NX1 to make a state of the art camera at a reasonable price that could potentially threaten Canon's imaging market to scare the crap out of them, and then said "if you license PDAF to us for our cell phones, we will get out of the camera business". The customers who bought the NX1 and S lenses were just cannon fodder (pardon the pun, lol) in that strategic exercise IMO.

I don't think Samsung really cared about the camera market, it was just a tech test bed for their engineers and finally a weapon they could use to get what they really wanted.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Interesting thoughts. The DPAF Might have been a reason, heck even Sony has it in their phones now I think. I don't know. Sony supplied a LOT of sensors for Canon. I doubt they had Samsung by the balls about DPAF. I would say Samsung had Canon more by the Balls sensors wise. Since they bought out Toshiba they pretty much have nearly everyone by the ass if they want the latest tech. Even all the MF cameras are using Sony now. They have a hell of a grip on the market.

I guess we still don't know who made the Sensor in the GH5s yet, but it sure does smell like a Sony one. I just don't see how Panasonic could afford to build it for as few sensors that will be produced. They are not going to sell a Million GH5s cameras. But Sony could from all the buyers of their Sensors.

Now if Panasonic had made the Sensor s35 size they could have used it in all their Cine cameras and potentially sold a lot more. I would think Panny could have fit a s35 sensor in a GH5 without the IBIS unit in it?

@Mokara

.. and Elvis is alive somewhere in the outer rings of Pluto..too much X-files speculation for such a simple thing.

Have you ever heard about Occam's razor? The simplest answear is usually the right one.

Do you think that it is more possible, that Samsung was building a good line up of various cameras and lenses for half a dozen years, so eventually to push Canon to give them a technology they didn't even have when Samsung started making cameras?! Right! They could have easily spend half of  the money that spend to R&D 19 camera bodies, 15 lenses (Canon Eos M have 7), another 1" system, and I assure you they would have a much better AF system than anyone on the planet. Instead of that, they produced a couple of truly unbelievable cameras that are still considered relevant, even 3-4 years after their demise.

Do not forget, that latest Samsung's AF system was highly advanced for 2014, I would believe that a couple of NX cameras later (If you take a 2 year cycle, now we would have a NX1mkIII) the AF performance would have been very close to Dual Pixel AF, anyway (if not better, but I am not going there), without borrowing anything. Still for video is more reliable than a6300's, which is erratic most of the times (you can check the Philip Bloom video that tests a few cameras, and NX, that he throws just for fun, works surprisingly good).

The latest Sony AF system is as fast as DPAF already. If Samsung had stay in the field they probably would have something similar. 

The true advantage of DPAF however is that it effectively has a lot more focus points than the system Sony or Samsung use. As long as you have the computational power you can use that to do all sorts of creative things that might be less practical with the more limited sets of focus points conventional systems have. Things like really precise tracking and image recognition. I don't believe that Canon themselves have the processors to fully utilize the power of DPAF, but certainly Samsung do (at least to a greater degree).

I think what would have motivated Samsung in something like this would be the edge it would give them in cell phones, where accurate automation of a lot of functions and features in the camera would be a decided competitive advantage.