Time for a shootout?

DBounce

5 hours ago, Neumann Films said:

Which video feels like 30p? Quite a few shots in the official one were at 30 and transformed to 24, so that should have no effect on motion cadence.

The low light test and then our Vlog used 24p and 180 shutter.  

The official one. I don’t feel the transformation to 24p worked for motion cadence... Not to my eyes. Perhaps others can chime in?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators
22 hours ago, EthanAlexander said:

No need to upload anything, it's just tweaking the camera settings on the Neutral PP:

5a6cab6f78445_ScreenShot2018-01-27at10_39_40AM.thumb.png.27719f2faa5fd1de90f2005232fe2d68.png

A flat ProLost profile or C-LOG style picture profile uploaded to the camera do not just tweak the camera settings on Neutral PP!

Was that what you meant...or...?

When you load on a custom picture profile it is a completely separate gamma curve and colour science setup to what is already built into the camera with the default profiles!

40 minutes ago, DBounce said:

The official one. I don’t feel the transformation to 24p worked for motion cadence... Not to my eyes. Perhaps others can chime in?

You can't conform 30p to 24p in post. It doesn't work, you end up with uneven motion like frame skipping... We all tried this in the early days of the 5D Mark II when it only shot 30p and it never gave good results conformed to 24p in the edit... That's why there was such a clamour for Canon to update the firmware with 24p.

Not a transform as in "plop 30p into a 24p timeline and let Adobe handle it". I actually slowed it down by 20%.  Same process as conforming 60 to 24. 

There should be no difference in motion cadence if shutter stays at 180 degrees and you properly conform.  Doesn't matter what frame rate. What you saw in the video is what the GH5S spits out. 

I didn't notice anything different with the motion cadence myself, wouldn't have let it leave the kitchen if I did :)

2 hours ago, Neumann Films said:

Not a transform as in "plop 30p into a 24p timeline and let Adobe handle it". I actually slowed it down by 20%.  Same process as conforming 60 to 24. 

There should be no difference in motion cadence if shutter stays at 180 degrees and you properly conform.  Doesn't matter what frame rate. What you saw in the video is what the GH5S spits out. 

I didn't notice anything different with the motion cadence myself, wouldn't have let it leave the kitchen if I did :)

For me, it wasn't the cadence but some of the scenes (not all) look over-sharpened that was reminiscent of 30p which is that videoish look... Again, that's how I felt about it and it's only some of the scenes...