Sony UWP-D11 wireless lav 1-day deal

salim

I'm new to all of these including sound. These lavs were recommended by @IronFilm and there is a 1-day sale on the at B&H: It's usually $529 but the sale if for $379

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1025751-REG/sony_uwp_d11_30_bodypack_lavalier_mic_eng_package.html

One thing you have to keep in mind, the sale is only for the 566 to 608 and 614 to 638 frequency units. The 600Mhz  are getting phased out in US, I believe. So I'm not 100% sure what it means for end-users. But something to keep in mind. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
11 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

I am getting the lower end (470-530 something) just in case

That's what I got too. Channel 14/25. I got an open-box dual receiver version from Adorama and got a used transmitter from Roberts. Now looking for one more transmitter and I can shoot an entire 2 person dialogue without worrying about the sound boom person. At least that's my hope :)

With that setup, when you have dropouts, you will have dropouts in sound. This is a 1ch true diversity receiver. If you connect 2ch, then none is true diversity, so when one of the 2 antennas are not working properly, you will have issues on that said antenna (and the specific channel). 

Share your experiences as soon as you got them!

5 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Dunno. I have never used it. 
But I'll say personally I always use a wired boom myself. 
Although on very rare occasions when I've had a boom op under me then I've handed them a RodeLink Newshooter Kit to use with their boom. 

How do you like the Newshooter kit? I got it for this exact reason, but have yet to really try it out on a full day.

On 12/13/2017 at 3:04 AM, MurtlandPhoto said:

How do you like the Newshooter kit? I got it for this exact reason, but have yet to really try it out on a full day.

Yeah is doing pretty ok for its price. And the headphone jack is nice, if you're not going to have a return feed for your boom op. 

31 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

But at least you can't blame me for buying a MixPre6

I have a SD 302 that I use with a tascam DR40 recorder. I looked at the Mixpre and I like how the recorder and everything was just one unit. No more extra XLR wires in my bag. So I looked at eBay and found a mixPre 3 open box. Made a lower offer. But I ended up contacting the company selling it and they also had a MixPre 6  also an openbox unit. I figured my needs might expand MixPre 3 and I should just cough up the money.  So I got like $80 discount on basically a brand new one and I decided to take it.  
However, I have SO MUCH TO LEARN. To use this setup and leverage all their potential.  If you guys have any tips would love to hear them. thanks! 

Congrats for your new equipment!

Excellent choices and future proof (for the middle term at least).

The Mixpre6 is a bonus, and it is a no brainer. In my opinion the best low cost recorder for most people (I am eying the 10t myself, but I bought a lot of equipment, and I will slow down for a while!). It could be a better deal than the wireless, because you can connect anything to it.

Not many tips really, the Mixpre has excellent analog preamps with analog limiter/compression capabilities, so you are a couple of steps ahead of the usual Zoom/Tascam crowd! The AUTO search of Sony is stellar (it works 99% of the time),  and be careful of the ATTenuation setting on the transmitter (I usually have it on -6), and the gain on the receiver (better play it safer there, as you do not want to overload the mic capsule before your signal passes through the excellent analog circuits of the Sound Devices).

Just play it safe, you can give some dB gain on post easily!