NX-1vs 5D4 vs GH5 Comparison after 4 months

Juxx989

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I have used those 3 cameras, and the GH5 extensively for video work (even for TV shows). I would take the NX1 any day of the week.

It is amazing how NX1 is still one of the best hybrids in the market, in my opinion, the best HYBRID (a camera 50% for photos and 50% for video), as A7r cameras are photo orientated, A7s video, Sony APS-C lack pro body and features, Fuji is still mostly photo orientated (they are missing a ton of video features vs the NX1), GH5 is obviously video centric etc etc

Also, there is a tendency for higher and higher prices, that makes me reluctant to invest to more hardware right now. The big changes will come with the adaptation of the HDR standard in the next few years, but right now the industry has competing standards and technology, so I wouldn't worry about that, yet. As I have said already many times, no one ever has asked me for 4K delivery, which isn't the same as HDR delivery, but you can imagine that HDR - which is brand new, will take a few good years to be the norm in video productions.

The only issue I face, is the fact that Samsung is not a player in the industry, so I have to work with a lot of different brands, and I can't "sell" my equipment for jobs or projects with other people directing/producing. Funny thing: in early summer, a camera operator (he uses only Canon D5 and series Cameras) did 3rd camera on a performance coverage I produced, and I gave him the NX1. I explained a few things, and he did his job. He called a couple of weeks ago and asked for the camera because "I liked that little GH4 a lot"! He didn't even understood it was a Samsung, after me mentioned it 4-5 times!