I have problems to speak in front of a camera

BrandonDor

Hello everyone,

I am the owner of a small development shop. At the moment the business is not running good. This brings me to new marketing channels. 

I playing for a long time with the thought to start a YouTube channel. But i dont have the conviction that anyone will watch my videos. I am an extrovert but i have massive problems to speak in front of a camera. I don’t know what i should say or how i should hold my hands / body. It is very hard for me to speak 20 seconds without an error (I have this only on camera) so that i ended have a video with 100 jump cuts. 

- How do you speak free on camera? Do you memorize a script or is it completely free?
- How do you feel when you see you on the video? I feel terrible. 
- What is the biggest positive thing initiate by your channel?
- Do you have some tips for me how i can start my channel?

Big Thanks and keep rolling.

PS: Sorry for my bad english.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

- How do you speak free on camera? Do you memorize a script or is it completely free?
Script is the way to go unless you feel very relaxed. Use cue cards and don't worry to much about jump cuts. There are ways to use them as an effect.
Look at Ray William Johnson's old stuff or I'm sure many here can link to others that use it successfully.  

- How do you feel when you see you on the video? I feel terrible. 
Seeing one self and hearing once voice is always uncomfortable. I've worked a lot in live broadcast radio and I can speak for many when I say that the feeling never goes away (exceptions to confirm the rule of course exists).
Just try to ignore it.

- What is the biggest positive thing initiate by your channel?
My personal channel is just a hobby and for fun, I don't even really try to make it grow. But still it tends to do so and has opened some doors for fun projects and real work.
I work a lot in social media professionally and there youtube has lead to profit, market awareness, etc, etc.
Its a channel and an outlet for communication with a wide reach.

- Do you have some tips for me how i can start my channel?
Allow yourself to fail, don't skimp on the audio, remember that content is king.

• Super Members
11 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

What @Mattias Burling said. You can also use only your voice, and not be in camera (that would be weird though, but it can work creatively, let's say, develop a talking something!) or use someone else as the spoke person of your company. An actress, or someone else.

Yup, that's what I do on my personal channel. Then I never screw up the script/read and it saves me aloooot of time.
But I don't recommend laziness, efficiency is the word :)

Everyone hates their own voice, as our inner ear hears quite differently when we speak, than when it's played back on a recording...for years doing doing production design on commercials, agency guys would ask me why I don't do voice overs...when I hear myself, I cringe!...you have to overcome this...shoot in short takes....always the best practice...no one wants to watch even the best actor ramble on and on....the same rule applies here, unless you are doing reviews or tutorials...it sounds like you are actually an introvert compensating for it by behaving like an extrovert...this is also very commen...public speaking comes with practice...put the time in. Lastly, and perhaps most importantly, I'll repeat what Matias said about sound...do not skimp on sound...as important to what you want to do, as it is in a feature film...so good sound and small bites....also look at the speaking style of anything by Hugh Brownstone (I think) ...his channel is 3 blind men and an elephant...lots of pauses...he takes his time...pauses....thinks....like a real conversation...watching his stuff is a pleasure...this is not intended as a recommendation for imitation for you, but a sample of how someone does exactly the opposite of "radio DJ voice" and it works well!

2 hours ago, BrandonDor said:

But i dont have the conviction that anyone will watch my videos. I am an extrovert but i have massive problems to speak in front of a camera.

That's interesting. Inside I'm a textbook introvert, ridiculously shy, but I can jump over my shadow at will. Learned that in three years psychotherapy. The key, in a nutshell, is doing at any costs what your fears tell you to avoid. So do speak in front of a camera. The smartest people with the most interesting things to say often don't have professional voices (Stephen Hawking comes to mind, among others). And vice versa, some textbook extroverts, radiating self-confidence and with loud, pleasing voices, bundles of joy, are completely hollow and boring. Some novelist wrote, those extroverts wear their shallowest feelings on the surface.

A good voice is an authentic voice. You can't feign that. Analyze what bothers you about your voice/appearance. Are there false notes? Be yourself, say what you mean and feel in the most direct and simple way. Does your body language and facial expression betray your words? Then you may have the perfect radio voice but still won't convince yourself, let alone others.