Hackers inject Mac virus into Handbrake Video Encoder

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I'm willing to bet that most mac people had handbrake already, and they would have upgraded via the in-app upgrade which is not affected. If you downloaded it as a clean install, there's a 50% chance you got it. If it were me, I'd wipe the drive, reinstall everything, restore from backed-up data (this depends on how you configured your backup process). Once your system is compromised, there's no going back IMO.

4 minutes ago, John Matthews said:

I'm willing to bet that most mac people had handbrake already, and they would have upgraded via the in-app upgrade which is not affected. If you downloaded it as a clean install, there's a 50% chance you got it. If it were me, I'd backup my data, wipe the drive, and reinstall everything. Once your system is compromised, there's no going back IMO.

Backup infected files? Your backup must be made before the attack.

17 hours ago, arson519 said:

say it aint so just installed this yesterday on my pc but i think i downloaded it in april and it was sitting in my download folder since then should i be safe?

It's probably okay if you haven't installed it.  Plus, they have probably eliminated the problem by the time you downloaded it.  Might be good to read the release notes on the version you downloaded.