Jump to content
Ian Edward Weir

First footage with Aivascope 1.75x Anamorphic - New Baby Hypergonar like lens

Recommended Posts

Here is the first thing I shot with the Aivascope. 
Filmed on a GH4 in 4k 4:3 for 2.35:1
Lens used - Aivascope and Olympus Zuiko 38mm f1.8 as taking lens. +1 diopter for a few close up shots. I use a lens hood to minimize flares. I shot at f/5.6 Quick coloring in Film Convert. Super harsh lighting but quick real world look. Flares would also be totally horizontal if I were on a tripod but it's mostly handheld.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
EOSHD Pro Color for Sony cameras EOSHD Pro LOG for Sony CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
13 hours ago, Bold said:

Is the 38mm the widest you can go with the GH4 in 4:3 mode?  So far, how do you like it in terms of size, weight, mounting, and IQ?

They claim you can go as wide as 25mm. I have not tried yet. 28mm is fine even in 16:9. Size and weight is great, quality build is great as well as mounting. I think with a variable diopter, a lens hood to cut down on flares and shooting at f4 or f5.6, you can get a very nice image. I think it will do a good job at translating what ever your taking lens is in terms of character. I love that it is 1.75x so you can get the 2.35:1 ratio or 2.76:1. I wish it was multicoated and wish it flared a little less but it's a nice lens that has potential. I took this still with it. More to come. 

Florida State Football Stadium

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The footage is very nice but for me, after watching several videos, the lens doesn't seem to do a good job producing the waterfall bokeh that is what I'm most drawn to. Just about all the footage I've seen seems to be deep focus and when there is some bokeh, it doesn't feel special to me. In no way is this a criticism of the OP and I know there are people who prefer deep focus and like anamorphics for other reasons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

23 hours ago, Manjeet Singh said:

Hi Ian, how sharp is this lens wide open? Or you have to shoot at f4 atleast to get a sharp image?

Hi Manjeet, I would say f5.6 to get sharp image. I think at f4, the footage is usable. Even better with a diopter. 

19 hours ago, Flynn said:

The footage is very nice but for me, after watching several videos, the lens doesn't seem to do a good job producing the waterfall bokeh that is what I'm most drawn to. Just about all the footage I've seen seems to be deep focus and when there is some bokeh, it doesn't feel special to me. In no way is this a criticism of the OP and I know there are people who prefer deep focus and like anamorphics for other reasons.

That's a fair assessment. this was a run and gun test in the worst possible lighting, with a vintage taking lens. I'm going to do a more controlled shot with this lens and it will shine more. :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Seems like a good compact option for run-n-gun or travel. I'd really like to see how it combines with some 50/1.2 on APS-C (or speedbosted m4/3) .

Earlier was said that it doesn't produce great result on FF until f5.6. Is new diopters was improved that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Vladimir said:

Seems like a good compact option for run-n-gun or travel. I'd really like to see how it combines with some 50/1.2 on APS-C (or speedbosted m4/3) .

Earlier was said that it doesn't produce great result on FF until f5.6. Is new diopters was improved that?

I asked and will keep you posted. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ian, if your taking lens accepts 52mm filters would the Aivascope just screw right in, no need for step up rings? Also, since you focus via the taking lens shouldn't autofocus work? I know you probably don't use autofocus, but the reason I ask is I'd be interested in using it for photography, not filmmaking. One final question. I know they recommend it for use with sensors no bigger than m43. Any idea how fast of an aperture you can use with m43 before the image is unusable? Wondering if f1.4 or f1.7 would be okay. No problem if you can't answer these questions, still appreciate you starting this thread.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Flynn said:

Ian, if your taking lens accepts 52mm filters would the Aivascope just screw right in, no need for step up rings? Also, since you focus via the taking lens shouldn't autofocus work? I know you probably don't use autofocus, but the reason I ask is I'd be interested in using it for photography, not filmmaking. One final question. I know they recommend it for use with sensors no bigger than m43. Any idea how fast of an aperture you can use with m43 before the image is unusable? Wondering if f1.4 or f1.7 would be okay. No problem if you can't answer these questions, still appreciate you starting this thread.

Yes, you can just screw Aivascope in front of your taking lens. I think ultimately, you are going to want to use the new variable diopter with Aivascope, so no auto focus. I have not gotten info about if the F stop would be better with variable diopter but I think it will improve. Currently, I would not shoot below an F4 with Aivascope. With diopter I'm hoping around a F1.8 or F2. Thanks Flynn!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Vladimir said:

Seems like a good compact option for run-n-gun or travel. I'd really like to see how it combines with some 50/1.2 on APS-C (or speedbosted m4/3) .

Earlier was said that it doesn't produce great result on FF until f5.6. Is new diopters was improved that?

Hi Vladimir, so the new variable diopter that goes in front is really designed for M4/3 so I'm not sure it will work with APS-C. I have never used speedbooster yet. The good news is it's small and should work with other small 8mm scopes. I'm hearing 2 or 3 F stops sharper with variable diopter attached. F2 or F2.8 would probably be the limit but don't want to make any claims till I see. The last footage I posted looks very promising. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In the vid I posted they said they were shooting on m43 with a vintage 35mm lens at f2.4. If they can get a usable m43 image at f2 that would be fantastic. I'm not bothered by a little softness. This might be a dumb question, but is it better to use a taking lens where the filter size is at or smaller than 52mm?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Flynn said:

In the vid I posted they said they were shooting on m43 with a vintage 35mm lens at f2.4. If they can get a usable m43 image at f2 that would be fantastic. I'm not bothered by a little softness. This might be a dumb question, but is it better to use a taking lens where the filter size is at or smaller than 52mm?

It's only better to have a taking lens with a front filter because you don't need to deal with step up or step down filter. Always go for the best taking lens regardless of front filter size. Only when going as wide as you can might it be a issue with slight vignetting in the corners.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...