Bloom Vs Andy

tomto

Wow Sean! (Burnett Rhodes) What a fantastic coup having you here on the site!

Wish I had half your talent for effects work  A REAL PRO in the film world. Andrew make this guy a moderator.

That's the thing, I don't go around trumpeting that just to do it.  Not unless provoked.  I'm here because I came across one of Andrew's reviews when I started investigating anamorphic lenses for DSLRs.  I'm happy to share with anyone but my primary focus is as an enthusiast who also enjoys learning from others every day.

I was impressed that Andrew was a doer and not just a talker like so many on the internet who are really in it for some sense of celebrity and not doing the work.  I like the fact that I don't know what Andrew looks like, yet that's the first thing you learn when you go to see what someone like Philip Bloom is about.  "Oh, he's so dreamy!"

I make mistakes, have made a fair amount here, because I can be a loud mouth too.  But, seriously, I'm here to learn more about these tools and all the various creative solutions people find for shooting, largely on a budget, so that I can apply that to further narrative feature films.  I like that they're so far under the radar of the establishment that it feels like being part of an insurgency.  That's why I'm here.

edit: and I wanted to make another thing clear.  I try to always interact with people here, on Vimeo, on PV, anywhere, based on the work they show and the words they say.  Not their resume or filmography.  When I click like, or add a comment of praise or anything like that it's not predicated on any pre-existing knowledge or bias involving someone's background.  I don't believe in someone's credentials as a means to judge their imagery.  If anything, I'll only go look if I'm at odds with some concept or statement that they've made and my own credibility has been challenged.  

The only time I think I've really fired off a tactical ego-bomb like this one was to shut down a particularly belligerent fellow on the Bloody Disgusting forums who didn't think I was either justified or qualified to have an exceptionally low opinion of James Cameron.  I don't want to make a habit of it.  It doesn't feel good to me...after that first couple seconds of hitting 'enter'.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

''Well it seems Leang just got bitch slapped and well deserved it is too.

I find it amazing how much disrespect goes round on the internet from people literally with no justification, aimed at people who have shared a wealth of knowledge and experience such as BurnetRhodes here.

On subject of Bloom - This started because his responses to my 1D C observations were rude, prickly, pompous, belittling putdowns and I will not stand for that in front of a crowd of 60,000 followers. I was debating with absolutely no malice at all but he took it personally. If he can't deal with criticism, even criticism of his camera(!) then he has an major ego issue.''   - Andrew Reid

don't fuel the fire man if you don't know where the fuel comes from.  It's obvious I brought out the ''VFX lurker'' because I knew - as well as Rhoades - that he would respond.  I had viewed his IMDB footer when we would argue before about the almighty anamorphix.  Plus giving you a hard time because of this Bloom stuff.  I play devil's advocate around here because your site isn't too objective for filmmaking, and you come off with an approach to weird filmmaking theory that I guess you feel is justified because you helped popularize GH2 hacks with anamorphics?  

Ban me all you want too.  Ready for the fascist Reid-only way.  So no I didn't get ''bitch slapped'' by the guy who stands up for you.  Reid let me know when you're invovled with an an actual Theatrical release in filmmaking and not just DVD distro like others.  I'm talking real Kino with popcorn and beer, son.

LOL, the only move this guy's kung fu has is the ad hominem.  

Talk talk talk talk talk...

edit: Hey, Leang, why don't you try making a film in the West that will stand up to real economic pressure where pandering to the Right or Left doesn't give you an automatic leg up for limited theatrical distribution.  Then maybe I'll take your air of somehow being above the ghetto of commercial home video distribution seriously.  Maybe.  Probably not.

LOL

I remember walking round some of the set for the Fifth Element at Pinewood when I was there working on a shoot for a commercial. Quite a while ago now.

Personally I like the work of both Andrew and Philip.
Spend more time here than at Bloom's site.
It's amazing how his whole celebrity status blew up.

They say there is no such thing as bad publicity.
Hopefully this little spat will drive more people to this site and people will discover the quality articles.

And the warm friendly group of contributors here!

@BurnetRhoades

Loved The Fifth Element... especially the art direction... it's like they lifted the look & story right out of the magazine Heavy Metal.  (I've been a subscriber for over 24 years).   Congratulations on a job well done, and thanks for sharing your insights!

Funny you should say that, they did, basically.  The film began its life as a childhood creation of Luc's while reading the original French version of the magazine Metal Hurlant.  Moebius was a prime inspiration for much of the look.

I remember walking round some of the set for the Fifth Element at Pinewood when I was there working on a shoot for a commercial. Quite a while ago now.

Please tell me you didn't eat in the commissary.  They couldn't even get a simple ham sandwich right.  Made me re-think every harsh judgment I ever had for school cafeteria food.  Ultimately, we ended up going out every day for lunch to get Indian or little mini-pizzas all the pubs were serving.

Haha,

I think we just had packs of sandwiches bought by runners.

We were only there for two days.
It was a beer commercial if I remember correctly.

Ah, hopefully they knew to get them from somewhere in the town.  Their little version of the "roach coach" that would be open on the lot in the mornings, for breakfast, that wasn't bad at all.  But that cafeteria...the worst.  I based the scowl for our Xtracurricular lunchroom lady, Olga, on one of the Pinewood lunch ladies.  I don't even think I was exaggerating when I suggested to Tim that she should be smoking.

Anyway, we had to get out of there at lunch because there was usually three, sometimes five of us, all working in an office that's smaller than some walk-in closets I've seen.

Can I have a job?

My credentials? Sometimes I make over a whole $100 filming local sports or seminars............

LOL, at this point I'm scrambling to make sure I can pay next month's rent.  I'm currently doing some stuff for a Cinetics commercial in exchange for gear and am going to try to squeeze in a commercial shoot up in Oklahoma before the end of the month, or at least get them to pay me half up front.  

As a VFX guy, working on stuff like that, I never had money problems (that I didn't create...or that weren't female related) but I never had time to work on anything but other people's movies.  The trade off to not being tied to a workstation with golden handcuffs, to have a shot at being able to, drop of a hat get rolling on another feature or explore other personally creative exercises, is I don't get the six figure paycheck anymore. 

Tim moves his family back to Texas in a month's time and he'll finally be able devote, at least for a while, full-time attention to making the next film from beginning to end, and I want to be flexible enough to get rolling on shoots for investor packages, etc.  This will be an interesting phenomenon given he was VFX Producing Snow White and the Huntsman while squeezing in what time he could at FCP to get the Sick Boy edit locked (we shot it while he was on vacation).  When we were finishing post on Xtracurricular he was having to squeeze that in while working on Chronicles of Riddick and I was doing development on Day After Tomorrow and then Big Fish, Peter Pan and a few shots on Spider-Man2, and, man, that's a hard way to finish a movie.  This next one, we're not going to have to "fit it in" to everything else going on.

Anyway, not in a hiring place right now, sad to say, but hopefully that changes sooner rather than later.

• Administrators

I don't care how it reflects on me.

Talk talk talk... Reputations... Brown nosing... Is for people who give a shit about what others think of their narcissistic self-brand image.

I have no interest in what you think moebius22, and frankly if you can't support the site owner in a difficult situation like this it reflects badly on you, not me.