New video shot using Canon 1DX Mkii and Sony A7ii

DBounce

Here's some stuff I shot using the Canon 1DX MkII and the Sony A7ii as B-cam. I'm certain there are a million mistakes, and warp stabilizer is not the best. But then again, I'm no pro so you might have better luck with it. Overall I love the 1DX MkII... though it's not perfect. Interested to hear some feedback. Also used the Letus Helix Jr . This is the first stuff that I have shot so I'm open to constructive advice. 

48578514.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Geoff CB said:

Good audio but pull that camera back man. More like the shot a 2:28, the point of the video is to show the positions, and the close framing makes this hard to follow. Also add a second fill light.

Good advice. I think you're right about wider shots. Second fill light? For the introduction?

I agree with what Geoff said. Otherwise it looks good I think. If you're gonna make more videos like this I would check out CodyApp for inspiration. Like this one for example: https://www.codyapp.com/plans/true-strength-evolution?ref=soh_fp_all_4

I actually made a few yoga videos too and will be making more in a couple of months. It's nice to see how others are doing it so thanks for sharing! My videos are a bit simpler and with music instead, but maybe it's helpful to see something different? Have a look if you want: 

1 hour ago, Fredrik Lyhne said:

I agree with what Geoff said. Otherwise it looks good I think. If you're gonna make more videos like this I would check out CodyApp for inspiration. Like this one for example: https://www.codyapp.com/plans/true-strength-evolution?ref=soh_fp_all_4

I actually made a few yoga videos too and will be making more in a couple of months. It's nice to see how others are doing it so thanks for sharing! My videos are a bit simpler and with music instead, but maybe it's helpful to see something different? Have a look if you want: 

Nice work!. Good angle and nice colors. Simple, but easy to follow. My problem is I like dynamic footage, so tend to shoot and edit that way. I think I'll start by filming the entire sequence stationary and then inter-cut the more dynamic shoots. BTW: Did you use two cameras? I used the Sony A7ii as a B-cam, and I won't lie, it was a b!tch to match colors. That problem has been plaguing me. 

42 minutes ago, DBounce said:

Nice work!. Good angle and nice colors. Simple, but easy to follow. My problem is I like dynamic footage, so tend to shoot and edit that way. I think I'll start by filming the entire sequence stationary and then inter-cut the more dynamic shoots. BTW: Did you use two cameras? I used the Sony A7ii as a B-cam, and I won't lie, it was a b!tch to match colors. That problem has been plaguing me. 

Thanks! I did use two camera on this one, but I will only use one the next time and take two takes if we want more angles. That is obviously easier with out vocals... As you said, it's a pain to match different cameras and lenses and that's also why I will only use one camera the next time. The wide angle is a GH4 in 4K with 12-35mm X set to 12mm, and the close-up is the GH3 with 25mm Pana Leica. I liked the colors from the close-up angle the most so I tried to match the wide angle to that one and it worked out pretty good I think. 

I think you did a good job matching them btw and the stabilization looks nice too. I doubt your audience would notice. 

My video was shot with natural light but I do have 3 Fotodiox 1x1 LED's similar to LS. I think they work ok as fill lights in bright scenes, but in dark scenes like yours they need diffusers to soften and spread the light for more even distribution. I use a cheap 110 cm 5-1 reflector like this (the bigger the better) https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-43-inch-Collapsible-Multi-Disc-Reflector/dp/B002ZIMEMW In my experience it's really difficult to light scenes like yours, especially with just one light source. 

I'm no expert by any means, just sharing my experience. 

21 minutes ago, Fredrik Lyhne said:

Thanks! I did use two camera on this one, but I will only use one the next time and take two takes if we want more angles. That is obviously easier with out vocals... As you said, it's a pain to match different cameras and lenses and that's also why I will only use one camera the next time. The wide angle is a GH4 in 4K with 12-35mm X set to 12mm, and the close-up is the GH3 with 25mm Pana Leica. I liked the colors from the close-up angle the most so I tried to match the wide angle to that one and it worked out pretty good I think. 

I think you did a good job matching them btw and the stabilization looks nice too. I doubt your audience would notice. 

My video was shot with natural light but I do have 3 Fotodiox 1x1 LED's similar to LS. I think they work ok as fill lights in bright scenes, but in dark scenes like yours they need diffusers to soften and spread the light for more even distribution. I use a cheap 110 cm 5-1 reflector like this (the bigger the better) https://www.amazon.com/Neewer-43-inch-Collapsible-Multi-Disc-Reflector/dp/B002ZIMEMW In my experience it's really difficult to light scenes like yours, especially with just one light source. 

I'm no expert by any means, just sharing my experience. 

GH4 looks pretty good in these shot. I think your angle sells it. Funny you mentioned the diffusers.... right after reviewing the raw footage we had the same thought. Below is a frame grab from the second episode that I am currently editing. The lighting is completely different as is the setting. I might move the subject a little closer to the wall next time around to get some back-lighting, or use a reflector to bounce some light from behind. I think the softer light is more complementary. 

And don't worry about not being an expert.... I'm here to learn also, and I value all constructive input.

WhiteBackground.jpg

Sure thing! That Sony is killing me though. I had planned to replace it with the 5DMkIV, but Canon went all "Canon" on it with that crazy crop. Not sure what to replace it with now. Maybe pickup a 1DC for cheap and use it as a b-cam? Or just shoot everything with one camera?

It looks good. My only suggestion is finding a different mic solution... Not because of audio quality, it sounds good, but because the wireless transmitter and lav wires running through her clothes makes her body look strange... Not flattering for yoga videos. Maybe try one of those necklace wireless microphones that they use on reality shows.

http://neckmics.com/Neckmics/Home.html

13 hours ago, DBounce said:

Sure thing! That Sony is killing me though. I had planned to replace it with the 5DMkIV, but Canon went all "Canon" on it with that crazy crop. Not sure what to replace it with now. Maybe pickup a 1DC for cheap and use it as a b-cam? Or just shoot everything with one camera?

Easy, wait a few months and get two GH5 ;) Panasonic really stepped ut their color game with the GX85. But off course you won't get that Canon AF, but then again, neither does your Sony... Too bad Canon don't have a nice B-cam option for the 1DXii.

3 hours ago, mercer said:

It looks good. My only suggestion is finding a different mic solution... Not because of audio quality, it sounds good, but because the wireless transmitter and lav wires running through her clothes makes her body look strange... Not flattering for yoga videos. Maybe try one of those necklace wireless microphones that they use on reality shows.

Doesn't that mic require an on-body wireless transmitter? 

Another option for audio that I've seen on lot's of yoga videos is to record the vocals later. Just let her do the practice and add vocals in post. Like this for example:

2 hours ago, Fredrik Lyhne said:

Easy, wait a few months and get two GH5 ;) Panasonic really stepped ut their color game with the GX85. But off course you won't get that Canon AF, but then again, neither does your Sony... Too bad Canon don't have a nice B-cam option for the 1DXii.

Another option for audio that I've seen on lot's of yoga videos is to record the vocals later. Just let her do the practice and add vocals in post. Like this for example:

That's the mic they use on Naked and Afraid and I haven't noticed any wires or transmitters. 

7 hours ago, mercer said:

I've never seen this microphone. Interesting. 

4 hours ago, Fredrik Lyhne said:

It's funny you mentioned the mic, we switched in the second video to voice over... the movement was causing noise. We also added the Sennheiser MKE2 AVX, for the talking scenes, which seems much cleaner than the Sony UWP-D11. Perhaps the biggest improvement we saw in audio was getting new noise cancelling headphones for monitor. Now I only hear what the microphone picks up. Anything that is polluting the input is immediately obvious. It's made a huge difference.

As for the GH5, I'll have to see what it brings. I know many have high hopes for that camera.  But then again many had high hopes for the 5DMKIV also. There are no official specs yet,  so only time will tell. I would love for it to be amazing.  Flying the 1DXMII is murderous on the back. 

• 4 months later...