Magix Sony VEGAS Pro 14 to have native Prores support & cost $199 only

LimitBreak

• 7 months later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Why would you go for vegas if you can use resolve which is 10X more powerfull. (vegas is really easy to start out with though, I give it that). I started with vegas back in the day, then moved up to Premiere, (also tried final cut) and now I am using resolve. 

A few years ago Vegas was the only game in town to natively edit stereoscopic 3D (there was a Cineform3D plugin for Premiere that was too buggy to use), so I used it briefly (example from the Sony TD10 camera: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JzUt9V-2KU ).

While Vegas was indeed very easy to use, it was also very slow and buggy. A big part of the speed issue is that the main app is written in .NET, which is much slower than C/C++/OBJC (natively compiled) which all the other NLEs are written in. .NET also allows less experienced developers to do basic work much faster, which is fine for simple business apps, however is a major issue for complex high performance apps (especially those having to run in real-time). Outside of a game development company or military contractor, there are vanishingly few developers who can write reliable high performance real-time graphics code. FCPX currently has the best real-time engine design, and has been the most reliable.  From the times I've been onsite at the Apple campus, it's the most like a game development vibe, second to Microsoft Xbox and Sony PlayStation divisions who don't create NLEs (visited an Adobe office in Seattle- biz app focused).

Resolve is getting better, however their real-time engine is still behind FCPX for general editing (even behind PP CC). It's still specialized for GPU node-based color editing/grading, where it accels when sufficient GPU resources are available. The Resolve GUI also looks like it was designed by engineers (same with PP CC) vs. product designers (FCPX). All the current NLEs have issues, so there's still room for more competition. And also a good reason to learn more than one so you always have options in case of issues.