Viewing footage in Oculus Cinema

Jimmy

I am starting to get more and more involved in VR and 360 work and have been running a few tests on Oculus and Samsung Gear.... Really cool tech that I will talk about soon in another post, with regard to VR narrative work.

What I wanted to discuss here though is the ability to watch 2D video within the VR theatres in Oculus Cinema.... At first I was sceptical, but it really is like viewing a film in a real theatre (or a theatre on the moon, or a theatre for ants!).

The sense of scale is unique and really effective. The way the light from the film changes the theatre just adds to the feeling. I think this will soon be a bone fide way to start testing your movies for theatre release and could be a really simple way to get test audiences for your film.

As with all things VR, explaining, showing videos etc just doesn't do it justice.... If you can get hold of a Gear VR or Oculus, be sure to check it out... It is stunning and sure to play a big part in the future of film consumption.

I found this video below that gives quite a good glimpse into how it all works... But really, you need to try this out for yourself... Exciting times!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I received my Vrizzmo Volt Mk2 the other day. Its one of the more immersive models out there due to the lenses used (experience before with Google Cardboard and the Ling VR). But man, I really got flippin' motion sick using it. I think the software needs a bit of a way before the virtual motion syncs up with real life motion. But I do, like you said, like stuff where you can just look around. The 360 experience part of VR from a fixed point in space. Like the Mini (car brand) little film they made (and discussed before). But indeed these VR Cinema apps do give you kind of the experience sitting in a theatre watching a screen that's pretty far away, yet still pretty big in peripheral vision.

This week I actually caught Samsung in my local mall with their Samsung Experience Tour.

safe_image.php?d=AQBTt-vS1sHIsQ-e&w=470&

They brought the Icaros along with them:

The built of the Gear VR feels a little flimsy though. The plastic lit just kept on falling off time after time as well.

-- Best resource for VR might just be: https://www.reddit.com/r/GoogleCardboard/comments/39t5tl/7000_subscribers_extra_basic_cardboard_questions/ .

Yea... the Oculus and Vive are far, far better in terms of reducing nausea, due to the better head tracking, latency and refresh rate (90hz)

I've used the Vive for over an hour without any headaches or nausea. Mobile tech will catch up over the next few years.

I had about an hour on it and then ordered it.

VR will completely change the world of work and entertainment, it's so exciting after the drab 3DTV malarket was DOA. I never got into that, it was just obviously not going to happen, but this... well you use it and then everything has just changed.

EDIT: Malarket! an accident but i like it: malarkey + market = malarket.

Oh yeah I've been ranting at people ad nauseum, in the end I just say "look, come over when I have mine, and when you get home, you'll be working out how to get one"

You talk about it and it sounds cool, but when you experience it you realise the world isn't going to be the same once it's caught on. Everywhere from remote military control, to surgeons, to entertainment... the list is endless.

I just got one yesterday (GEAR VR). Really cool and so many uses e.g. they are using it for random stuff like to teach rock climbing. One animated video in the Shorts section won something at Sundance. On the 2550 x 1440 S6 screen the resolution is not good, but it is certainly worth buying for only £80 if you hve the right phone. I will probably use it for the occasional movie and certainly 3D movies. Might have to get a 360 degree camera too and film some aquariums and scenery.