Carmeras and Gear for Independent Narrative Work only!

August McCue

4 hours ago, Bioskop.Inc said:

I love the Coney Island video above...but i'll raise you that Ikonoskop video, with this one - made by one of the guys from Daft Punk, just...

mmmmm tasty diffusion... nice blooming highlights...Now that's a battle! Tomas Bangaltar vs Ice Cream Coney.

On another side of things, the super 8 revival is looking really interesting with the Logmar and Kodak (coming in 2016 supposedly) cyborgs! It seems that the film scanning technology is getting really good and affordable.

Kodak is claiming they will provide 4k or 5k resolution for super8 scans when you use their film stock!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
5 hours ago, Kurtisso said:

mmmmm tasty diffusion... nice blooming highlights...Now that's a battle! Tomas Bangaltar vs Ice Cream Coney.

On another side of things, the super 8 revival is looking really interesting with the Logmar and Kodak (coming in 2016 supposedly) cyborgs! It seems that the film scanning technology is getting really good and affordable.

Kodak is claiming they will provide 4k or 5k resolution for super8 scans when you use their film stock!

Love the contrast between those 2 Ikonoskop films - perhaps the the Ice Cream one is better, but for an amateur DP, I do like the one by Thomas Bangalter too - 2 different looks for sure.

Super 8 filmed properly, with lots of light can be very clean & the 4k scan claim is really interesting. Don't think film is going anywhere in a hurry, but finding someone to process it will be the biggest challenge. But i suppose for the few places that will continue to support it, and by that I mean process it, they will make a killing - even though it'll be a PITA for those filming who don't live close.

5 hours ago, Kurtisso said:

Imagine the resolution on the film grain ;)

Seriously, I love film and will defend it as much as possible... But you can't say 35mm is 4-6k, S16 is 2-4K and S8mm is HD....

And then turn around and say you can get 4K out of Super 8.

With the new 8k cams coming out, Kodak will soon be saying that 35mm gives you 10k!

I'll concede that resolution on film doesn't really work the same way as a digital sensor, but you'll really just be getting finer detail on the grain - which sure, can give you the appearance of extra resolution..

15 hours ago, jax_rox said:

Imagine the resolution on the film grain ;)

Seriously, I love film and will defend it as much as possible... But you can't say 35mm is 4-6k, S16 is 2-4K and S8mm is HD....

And then turn around and say you can get 4K out of Super 8.

With the new 8k cams coming out, Kodak will soon be saying that 35mm gives you 10k!

I'll concede that resolution on film doesn't really work the same way as a digital sensor, but you'll really just be getting finer detail on the grain - which sure, can give you the appearance of extra resolution..

Totally, that film grain will look absolutely delicious!

Yeah, I don't know if I subscribe to the "35mm is 4-6k, S16 is 2-4K and S8mm is HD" or that you can get "4k out of Super 8". From the little that I understand and can remember from photo class about analog film (so please correct me if I'm totally wrong), but I believe the "resolution" is happening at a molecular level? And because of that, technically the resolution is denser than our camera sensor pixel array, unless we can create pixels that are even smaller! However, these tiny chemical reactions do not always behave in a "clean, individual molecule" kind of way, and have chain reactions based on proximity so you get "less pixel-sharp" images in certain areas like bright skintones which are softened...maybe highlight blooms too? The things we tend to like from film and try to emulate with digital cinema.

So I assume that on the 4k scan of super 8 film, it picks up some details "in 4k" and some are lost in a lower resolution. I also assume sharpness of your glass makes a difference too in creating that sharpness on the film itself..  Cool thing too, if the scanners keep getting better, it's possible that your film's resolution can get better too!

I realize I've veered away a bit from the OP's topic, so to bring it back... Kodak is launching the new camera with the model of "You buy it, shoot it, ship it. We process it, scan it, deliver it". Seems like you won't have to hunt down high quality scanners. Might be an option for narrative that won't blow the budget. Then again, Kodak might charge a $$$hit ton for the round trip. I'm excited to see though! :D