1dx Mark II - Rumors of 4k @ 60p, $5999

Shield3

Rumors are the new 1dx Mark II will do 4k @ 60 FPS, 22 MP and have a list price of $5999.

Should be announced shortly.  If true, I wonder if the 4k will be full frame and not 1.3x APC-H like the 1dc.

Also this will pretty much destroy the price of new 1dc's -  I would think, anyway.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

If the 1D X Mark II would be so video orientated and just around the corner you'd think Canon would have discontinued the 1D C completely by now.

I think the rumours look a bit too optimistic for video.

Remember all the D5 rumours shouted 4K and it turned up with major limitations.

Since 22MP is 5.5K, that full read out at 60fps in a relatively small and battery limited DSLR seems extremely unlikely to me. Maybe they can only achieve it from a small 4K crop of the sensor.

Canon's dilemma is thus...

If they put Cinema EOS beating full frame 4K 60fps image quality in a $6k camera, it would dilute the appetite of a portion of the market to invest heavily in dedicated Cinema EOS cameras. Wedding photographers who do video as well could just buy one camera for stills and video, and then Cinema EOS cameras would be limited by their ergonomic appeal alone not just their better image quality.

Also at $5999 it severely limits Canon's ability to mark up any future 4K Cinema EOS camera aimed at roughly the same market. That is a very low price for a full frame 4K 60fps camera from Canon.

There has been some talk of a raw video "burst" too. That could be very interesting, for certain applications.

I agree that 4K/60fps seems a bit optimistic. They might be wise to the fact that people buy the CXXX range for the video features though and would likely see the 1DX II as a B cam. We can only hope. I really don't think CXXX sales would drop much at all.

If the 1D X Mark II would be so video orientated and just around the corner you'd think Canon would have discontinued the 1D C completely by now.

I think the rumours look a bit too optimistic for video.

Remember all the D5 rumours shouted 4K and it turned up with major limitations.

True, but Canon has done 4k for unlimited record time before - I got 1 hour 4 minutes straight with a 256GB CF on the 1dc.  Nikon has no prior history that I'm aware of.

Since 22MP is 5.5K, that full read out at 60fps in a relatively small and battery limited DSLR seems extremely unlikely to me. Maybe they can only achieve it from a small 4K crop of the sensor.

Canon's dilemma is thus...

If they put Cinema EOS beating full frame 4K 60fps image quality in a $6k camera, it would dilute the appetite of a portion of the market to invest heavily in dedicated Cinema EOS cameras. Wedding photographers who do video as well could just buy one camera for stills and video, and then Cinema EOS cameras would be limited by their ergonomic appeal alone not just their better image quality.

Also at $5999 it severely limits Canon's ability to mark up any future 4K Cinema EOS camera aimed at roughly the same market. That is a very low price for a full frame 4K 60fps camera from Canon.

I think the truth lies somewhere in between.  $6499 street price, 4k @ 24p, 14/16 FPS shooting.  I would love Canon to release a 6d Mark II with 4k and a fold out screen like the 70d.  Put DPAF in that sucker and a really good codec and it'd sell like hotcakes.

There has been some talk of a raw video "burst" too. That could be very interesting, for certain applications.

I agree that 4K/60fps seems a bit optimistic. They might be wise to the fact that people buy the CXXX range for the video features though and would likely see the 1DX II as a B cam. We can only hope. I really don't think CXXX sales would drop much at all.

yeah i remember them talking about raw video in a test video of the 1dc where photographer printed stills from the 4k video.