Leica SL with 10bit 4K video and possible Panasonic full frame sensor!

Andrew Reid

You can't do that because a mount that is smaller than the sensor gives problems, that's why the e-mount isn't that great for long lenses.

...even shooting with a crop of the sensor?

JohnFelipo, I strongly suspect it won't be possible to come up with new mount which can work with 135 format lenses completely *AND* have enough space left to squeeze in the electronics to control m4/3 lenses as well in the adapter. As any new mount to use m4/3 on would need to be even *more shallow* than m4/3 is already!!

I see...my line of thinking is since they would develop it from the bottom up they might find a way to make it work, but truth be told it's just a huge wish and I really have no idea how doable it would be.

Like I said, just an APS-C sensor with the same MFT mount would already be huge for me, I don't really need Full Frame but MFT sensors are a bit too small for my taste...

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

...even shooting with a crop of the sensor?

Big sensor, small mount, adapter to bigger mount. The small mount shadows the sensor.

It would have to be, big sensor, big mount, adapter to smaller mount. But since the m43 mount already has a very small register distance the solution had to be very creative and very akward.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Just saying, if the colour science of video is borrowed from the JPEG engine, as on Canons/nikons/panasonics, then scratch out the pleasing colour possibility this camera might have. Leica only looks gorgeous in raw. JPEGs are hideous.

Just saying, if the colour science of video is borrowed from the JPEG engine, as on Canons/nikons/panasonics, then scratch out the pleasing colour possibility this camera might have. Leica only looks gorgeous in raw. JPEGs are hideous.

The sample video looked nice to me (but they usually do so it doesn't say too much), but the processor might be panasonic so...

If the body of the camera is designed with full-frame and M 4/3 compatibility intended, it is pretty straightforward.   You begin with an interchangeable mount capable of mounting either the full-frame or the M 4/3 mount, and the M 4/3 mount is defined by the back-focus depth of the M 4/3 specification.  The full-frame mount can project forward for the back-focus of the Lens line to be designed so designed or adopted.   This is by definition a compromise, but it could be done.  

I believe Panasonic would probably start a full-frame , independent Camera Line.   ( Cheaper than Leica, but an all-out premium camera in their line.)   Perhaps using the Leica mount and designing a Panasonic companion lens line?

• 2 months later...