Stabilizers: cheap vs expensive?

sandro

I'm been wanting the e-m5ii since day one. Used to gave a e-m5 for stills that was great.Was able to get really stable footage with it in video as well.

The closeup of the pig is actually at 240mm (ff) handheld without trying to keep it more steady than normal.  (No ND filter so lots of blown highlights)

Mattias, I can see how the IS helped, but it still looks handheld. FuzzyNormal's footage looks like it was done on a jib/slider. Fuzzy is a dam ninja!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The closeup of the pig is actually at 240mm (ff) handheld without trying to keep it more steady than normal.

There was a thread a few month back when the EM5II came out and I showed some Tiger footage I shot in Indonesia with an FF Equiv of 600+mm on the EM5.  When I started using the 5-axis and realized I could quiet a 600mm focal length, it really got me excited for the tech.  I'll see if I can find that. 

I think the great thing about this sort of camera is that it's just fun to use.  The ability to grab easy static shots is what sold me on it --not even the simulated slider stuff one can accomplish, that's a bonus.  I just needed to be able to hold a camera in weird places quickly, like over my head while standing on a chair ...and being able to do a shoot without sticks or setting up a huge (or small) gimbal is liberating.

The camera is not for everyone or certain jobs, but it's been working well for me. 

Anyway, it's an alternative idea to buying a gimbal.  You get a pretty kick-butt stills camera too, BTW.  Just putting it out there.

• Super Members

Mattias, I can see how the IS helped, but it still looks handheld. FuzzyNormal's footage looks like it was done on a jib/slider. Fuzzy is a dam ninja!

I would hope. 

I had zero intention to make it seem unhandheld. This was just playing around shooting mostly one handed with the dog leash in the other hand during a walk :)

What it does show is that if one wants to, a steady cam or gimbal is not needed. 

(and if where honest, anybody who wants it to look like a slider uses a slider.)

(and if where honest, anybody who wants it to look like a slider uses a slider.)

​FWIW, the EM5II is nice and all, but it's not going to give you the same functionality as a gimbal.  I just use it for short shots kuz that's what I do most of the time.  Short PR edits. But, if you wanted to do a looooong tracking shot following a character around and needed the camera to transition through some pretty aggressive moves and still keep things smooth, the internal 5-axis on-a-sensor isn't going to like that.  I think you'd see some significant warping.  

You'd definitely want a more professional tool/gimbal in that case.  Also, the EM5II is pretty decent IQ, but it's certainly inferior to a lot of other stuff on the <$1K market.

Don't want to hijack the thread here, it's all just food for thought.  Since it worked for me, maybe it would work for you.  Depends.  If you want to see a lot of words agonizing over the EM5II, this is where you should go: