Documentarian/Filmaker Worth Following

SRV1981

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, kye said:

Yep!

Hey - you should look into colour grading! 🙂 

Uhhh I know! Maybe this summer when I have more time! The advent of internal LUTs I think will help me on that journey. Seeing what folks have done with Dehancer has been motivating as well. 

7 hours ago, SRV1981 said:

Uhhh I know! Maybe this summer when I have more time! The advent of internal LUTs I think will help me on that journey. Seeing what folks have done with Dehancer has been motivating as well. 

I recommend FilmConvert or Dehancer if people like the overall film look but don't want to learn to colour grade - it's a quick and effective solution.

Resolve 19 has a new plugin called Film Look Creator included in the paid version that is like FilmConvert / Dehancer except it doesn't model specific film stocks but is designed to give a flexible overall film look.  For most people it would be better than FilmConvert or Dehancer just for creating a nice look and not having to learn colour management etc.

From the videos I've seen on Film Look Creator, I think subtractive saturation and split toning are the things that stuck at to me as most interesting - that and I'm going to need to spend a bit of time with their grain generator to see if I like the output.

3 hours ago, eatstoomuchjam said:

From the videos I've seen on Film Look Creator, I think subtractive saturation and split toning are the things that stuck at to me as most interesting - that and I'm going to need to spend a bit of time with their grain generator to see if I like the output.

Cullen Kelly says that the grain and the halation are nicer than the previous separate OFX plugins, so that's promising if you're a connoisseur / picky 🙂 

Further to this, I watched a few past videos from Blaine yesterday and this video (while quite chaotic) gives a bunch of pretty interesting examples of how using a Film Emulation of some kind combined with some of the basic Resolve tools can give quick but very effective results:

Perhaps the most interesting thing about it is the way he treats Resolve..  he shows that if you know a few techniques then you can get in, make some good adjustments, get a great result, and get out, and move on with your day.

It's sort of a rare counter-example of the impression that Resolve is finicky and takes hours and hours, which almost all other colour grading videos give, but isn't true.

At it's most basic, you can just apply a LUT to every clip and then make basic adjustments in a node prior to the LUT on each clip and can get great results in a really quick way.  This is the way that film-makers grade when they want a result, rather than the way that colour grading YouTubers grade when they're making a YT video about some nuance or other.

The section from 5:00 on with the test shots shows that even if the shots weren't filmed well at all, you can get great results quickly with just a few quick techniques.

9 hours ago, kye said:

Further to this, I watched a few past videos from Blaine yesterday and this video (while quite chaotic) gives a bunch of pretty interesting examples of how using a Film Emulation of some kind combined with some of the basic Resolve tools can give quick but very effective results:

Perhaps the most interesting thing about it is the way he treats Resolve..  he shows that if you know a few techniques then you can get in, make some good adjustments, get a great result, and get out, and move on with your day.

It's sort of a rare counter-example of the impression that Resolve is finicky and takes hours and hours, which almost all other colour grading videos give, but isn't true.

At it's most basic, you can just apply a LUT to every clip and then make basic adjustments in a node prior to the LUT on each clip and can get great results in a really quick way.  This is the way that film-makers grade when they want a result, rather than the way that colour grading YouTubers grade when they're making a YT video about some nuance or other.

The section from 5:00 on with the test shots shows that even if the shots weren't filmed well at all, you can get great results quickly with just a few quick techniques.

I love the way Blaine constructs his videos. Zero fluff. Just tips and tricks the whole time.

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched this video from Jimmy on Film and it's right up there in terms of useful and entertaining content..

His examples were really convincing in terms of creating a realistic re-creation of different times of day:

image.thumb.png.ed2a4f0afdb352e4c5040f7e3a7d16ea.png

image.thumb.png.d18f6940c31813d132db2d61912241d9.png

image.thumb.png.48c5d408a964da1c352412a08f8b6179.png

image.thumb.png.49f882c53f96b53a96599bd51c564cd3.png

and that wasn't even the point of the video - it was just an example of the broader point he was making.  He even included lighting diagrams etc.

I don't normally post stills etc from videos, but this is an example of the highest level of YT content - it's a clear and simple explanation of an extremely powerful concept, it includes specific details such as diagrams and specific numbers (in this case colour temperatures) but is straight-forward and entertaining too.

This is the stuff that really shows you how pathetic the rest of camera YT is.