[Help] GH4 + Adapter + what lens Nikon vs Contax??

DevilMind

[Help] GH4 + Adapter + what lens Nikon F/FD vs Contax??

i just bought GH4 without any lenses, so i want to go Adapted lens route. its either Nikon lenses or Contax lenses for me.

I was going to get metabones booster Nikon + sigma 18-35 lens before + rokinon Cine DS lenses 85mm 14mm.

but i realized that is just too much Money on lenses and sigma 18-35 is APS-C only lens. because in future i might upgrade to Full frame Blackmagic Cine Camera or Ursa mini with in 2 years.

MY QUESTION:: now on Nikon Af-D my plan is 20mm 2.8d ,50mm 1.8d, 85mm 1.8d + cheap mid zoom lens. or i should i better get Contax lenses??

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

​i found prices to be on ai-s only 2%-5% less than af-d lenses which is ridiculous. also other brand vintage lenses cost only 10-15% less than nikon af-d glass

​AF-D prime lenses are plastic with terrible focus rings compared to the all metal smooth-focusing AI-s series. Also certain lenses are significantly worse optically to make room for the AF system, like the 28mm f2.8. Unless you need the AF, get the AI-s series glass. They are so well regarded nikon still makes the AI-s series lenses, you can order them brand new. 

​i found prices to be on ai-s only 2%-5% less than af-d lenses which is ridiculous. also other brand vintage lenses cost only 10-15% less than nikon af-d glass

They are nikons worst lenses (generally), the focus rings get jumpy very often and the ring to change aperture is a pain in the ass.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Well I was shooting an interview on my DP's D7100 last night so I asked him to get me his fastest prime, he handed me the 50mm F/1.8 AF-D. At first glance, wow what a piece of solid metal glass, 100x higher level of construction quality vs my Canon 50mm F/1.8, which are priced the same. Great, until I mounted it and grabbed the focus ring, God what a complete piece of epic failure. I ''cannot'' focus the damn lens manually, completely jumpy and just plain unusable for video use, I even switched to AF and got the face in focus (fast and accurate) and turned it to manual and just stayed away from the ring. It shows how they were designed for specifically AF use. Even the Canon F1.8 plastic tiny ring is much smoother and much more accurate, and that canon lens is considered pretty bad at manual focus! 

I'd steer away clear from AF-D lenses. Ai-S is miles ahead even if they cost more get that. 

MY QUESTION:: now on Nikon Af-D my plan is 20mm 2.8d ,50mm 1.8d, 85mm 1.8d + cheap mid zoom lens. or i should i better get Contax lenses??

​As others said, some AF-D's are quite suboptimal, the 20mm 2.8 for example needs f=5.6 to become contrasty...  I use it a lot, but never wide open.