Does FX30 output timecode?

Dan64

Hi all, am new here so apologies if this is in the wrong place!

Does anybody know if the FX30 outputs timecode? 

I want to satisfy the EXT AUTO REC function on my Zoom f6 but want to check that the FX30 can output timecode through the multiport if I get a Sony VMC-BNCM1 Timecode Adapter Cable and tentacle 3.5mm sync cable. 

Thank you in advance 

Dan 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 2/1/2024 at 6:24 AM, Dan64 said:

I want to satisfy the EXT AUTO REC function on my Zoom f6 but want to check that the FX30 can output timecode through the multiport if I get a Sony VMC-BNCM1 Timecode Adapter Cable and tentacle 3.5mm sync cable. 

Thank you in advance 

Dan 

Sorry if I am confused about your situation, but...

I think that you need to use the multiport for timecode IN to the FX30 for recording timecode metadata. So that would basically tie up your multiport.

The Sony VMC-BNCM1 plugs in to the multiport, if I am not mistaken.

I am not sure if you can "jam" timecode on the FX30 / FX3 cameras. By jamming, that would mean plug in the tentacle sync to the multiport first, get the FX30 to read the timecode value from the Tentacle sync, and then unplug the tentacle sync while the FX30 timecode remains in sync, thus freeing up the multiport.

There is a page that lists three options of getting timecode with the tentacle sync and the FX30 / FX3 here:

https://tentaclesync.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/4403308580241-How-can-I-sync-my-Sony-FX3-FX30-camera

There is this note at the bottom of the page:

Please keep any timecode generator connected to the camera at all times. Without the continuous connection, the camera's timecode will drift within less than 30 minutes.

So to me, that sounds like 1) you possibly COULD jam sync timecode to the FX30, thus freeing up the multiport, and 2) you should NOT do that as it will drift out of sync relatively quickly.

Hope this helps.

On 2/2/2024 at 3:24 AM, Dan64 said:

Thank you in advance 

Dan 

You want to automatically start the F6 recording each time the FX30 starts recording? I don't have a FX30 myself, but I kinda doubt that's possible?

I think you should perhaps get a Tascam DR701D, which has an HDMI input that can read TC start recording triggers over HDMI 

darn, otherwise I could have got two!

How long do I need to wait until it becomes $50? 

15 years?? 25yrs? Probably by that point in time inflation will have gone up so much that the FX30 will never be $50 😞