Waiting for next Back-Bone news...

Emanuel

Hard to guess what camera model might be interesting to see to pop up from theirs...? ; )

Needless to say anything ; )

But the way they look like attached to GoPro, I wouldn't surprise myself if we would have to wait until September to realize what comes next...

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
32 minutes ago, Emanuel said:

image.thumb.png.314bf1356f58cf0bc96e8daff2f2f513.png

source here (where this thread is also linked there)

Looks like they have some filter there to previously control the comments posted once appears on the counter but not published (yet)... Let's wait, see and hope for their wish to make it real :- )

4 hours ago, Eric Calabros said:

At that bulk and weight level, why not use an APSC camera? 

For a simple reason: with an APSC camera you won't have an action camera ; ) With the back-bone camera you'll have both! On the light side of the universe, yet:

https://www.back-bone.ca/product-category/lenses/cs-c-mount/

https://www.back-bone.ca/product-category/adapters/

To me it is a perfect camera! : )

You need AF? Add another original unit to your kit.

Ace Pro 8K 24p won't replace a FF Z8 8K 60p RAW as for instance but costs a fraction of the price... ;- )

I have a few back-bone modded cameras.  Usability tends to be a bit of a challenge.  When they say they have the best luck with HDMI, I believe them completely.  The cameras that I have are...
Yi 4K+ - borderline unusable.  No HDMI output, fairly high latency over wifi, minimal or no ability to punch in on internal screen.  Can be OK if you can lock focus in a spot and leave it there (like for mounting on a car).  C/CS mount w/ 1/2.3" sensor.
Hero 7 - More usable than Yi, still really hard to use.  HDMI output has insane lag.  Wifi tolerable, can punch in on internal screen in photo mode (and maybe in a limited fashion in video?  It's been a bit).  C/CS mount w/ 1/2.3" sensor
Insta360 One R 1" edition - My "gold standard" - No HDMI output available, wifi lag acceptable, double tap on internal screen to punch in makes it the easiest of the bunch to focus.  Passive Micro 4/3 mount w/ 1" sensor.

I wish the One R could do wired preview to an iPhone, but at least mine only seems to have an option for wired Android connection (maybe the One RS body improves that?  I should double-check whether I have one).  If it could do wired preview with low latency, it would be completely usable (though with poor dynamic range).

Anyway, I keep an EF adapter on my One R and occasionally mount it to the back of a telephoto lens to turn it into a super telephoto (5.7k 1" sensor + EF 100-400L = 1080mm lens - add 1.4x teleconverter for 1500mm - with some ability to crop in since the source image is already 5.7k).

So the best answers for "why do this?"
1) 1/2.3" sensor works with tiny C mount (and even some D mount) lenses.  "That bulk and weight" is less than just about any S35 camera.
2) 1" sensor = 2.7x crop vs FF, give or take - 1/2.3" sensor = 5.6x crop factor vs FF.  Want a thing that's about 1/3 the size of your other camera body and you can easily mount it to your long telephoto lens to get some extra reach?
3) It's fun.

All things considered, if the RX0 has a low-latency HDMI output, it might actually be the best option (still) for a Back-Bone camera - it has a "big" sensor and one can use focus tools on the external screen.

4 hours ago, eatstoomuchjam said:

I have a few back-bone modded cameras.  Usability tends to be a bit of a challenge.  When they say they have the best luck with HDMI, I believe them completely.  The cameras that I have are...
Yi 4K+ - borderline unusable.  No HDMI output, fairly high latency over wifi, minimal or no ability to punch in on internal screen.  Can be OK if you can lock focus in a spot and leave it there (like for mounting on a car).  C/CS mount w/ 1/2.3" sensor.
Hero 7 - More usable than Yi, still really hard to use.  HDMI output has insane lag.  Wifi tolerable, can punch in on internal screen in photo mode (and maybe in a limited fashion in video?  It's been a bit).  C/CS mount w/ 1/2.3" sensor
Insta360 One R 1" edition - My "gold standard" - No HDMI output available, wifi lag acceptable, double tap on internal screen to punch in makes it the easiest of the bunch to focus.  Passive Micro 4/3 mount w/ 1" sensor.

I wish the One R could do wired preview to an iPhone, but at least mine only seems to have an option for wired Android connection (maybe the One RS body improves that?  I should double-check whether I have one).  If it could do wired preview with low latency, it would be completely usable (though with poor dynamic range).

Anyway, I keep an EF adapter on my One R and occasionally mount it to the back of a telephoto lens to turn it into a super telephoto (5.7k 1" sensor + EF 100-400L = 1080mm lens - add 1.4x teleconverter for 1500mm - with some ability to crop in since the source image is already 5.7k).

So the best answers for "why do this?"
1) 1/2.3" sensor works with tiny C mount (and even some D mount) lenses.  "That bulk and weight" is less than just about any S35 camera.
2) 1" sensor = 2.7x crop vs FF, give or take - 1/2.3" sensor = 5.6x crop factor vs FF.  Want a thing that's about 1/3 the size of your other camera body and you can easily mount it to your long telephoto lens to get some extra reach?
3) It's fun.

All things considered, if the RX0 has a low-latency HDMI output, it might actually be the best option (still) for a Back-Bone camera - it has a "big" sensor and one can use focus tools on the external screen.

Yes, I am based on similar input coming from acceptable lag on Insta360 products from their users I am also one of them, hence why I might end and actually am all enthusiastic with : ) The fact they've succeeded to launch to each most recent GoPro models seems to hint they're coming to improve their offer as far as that issue concerns. Reason why such reports like yours are priceless to go forward ; ) I can only be optimistic! :- )