Proof that Canon DOESN'T want to deliver real HD video on their DSLRs

sandro

I came across a compact camera from Canon called IXUS 115 HS/ELPH 100 HS with a DIGIC4 processor, it can shoot videos at 1080p, the "big thing" is that the resolution is actually close to be real (considering the sensor size and aliasing everywhere :) ). How ridiculous is this? The t3i/t2i/7d with the same processor have a lower resolution than a $150 compact camera from the same company. Definitely sharper.

proof
https://vimeo.com/33007523
(download the original file)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators
It is ridiculous. There is more to it than just the image processor though, and this is especially key when it comes to the 5D Mark III. The sensor has to be designed in a certain way to deliver video. The reason the GH2 is so good is that the sensor takes a hybrid approach to stills and video, from the drawing board up. It is able to do most of the pixel binning in hardware on the sensor itself, and it has a very fast readout. I don't think Canon took the effort required with the 5D Mark III, it may be political but it may also be that they didn't want to compromise the stills side by making a faster sensor with the likely increase in noise and cost that would have entailed. Now the 1DX has a very fast sensor and with some cooling it is turned into a 4K Cinema EOS. If video is gimped on the 1DX it will 99% be political, in my view.

PS - The $250 Sony HX9v compact does better 1080p than a NEX so it is not just Canon being silly.

• Administrators
[quote author=hoodlum link=topic=880.msg6371#msg6371 date=1340376685]
I believe it is just easier to have faster sensor readouts on smaller sensors.  The Canon S series could have had great video if they wanted it too.

That is why I believe the Nikon 1 series will be the first MILC to have a global shutter.
[/quote]

I think the Nikon 1's sensor is pretty cutting edge. No mechanical shutter as far as I'm aware. So yes, global in stills mode?

Also it is capable of 4K readout for video. (But not implemented in Expeed 3 obviously).

Just looked at the Ixus video and a lot of aliasing in it. Still not great to be honest. Resolution should be clean as well as crisp.

[quote author=sandro link=topic=880.msg6368#msg6368 date=1340375389]
I came across a compact camera from Canon called IXUS 115 HS/ELPH 100 HS with a DIGIC4 processor, it can shoot videos at 1080p, the "big thing" is that the resolution is actually close to be real (considering the sensor size and aliasing everywhere :) ). How ridiculous is this? The t3i/t2i/7d with the same processor have a lower resolution than a $150 compact camera from the same company. Definitely sharper.

proof
https://vimeo.com/33007523
(download the original file)
[/quote]

[size=12pt]was there ever any evidence they did?[/size]

[quote author=HurtinMinorKey link=topic=880.msg6376#msg6376 date=1340385289]
1dX vs 5dm3, very unscientific comparison.

https://vimeo.com/44496874

The canon DSLRs are all clearly being nerfed to protect their cinema line.
[/quote]

[size=12pt]Bingo!  Exactly[/size]

[quote author=Andrew Reid link=topic=880.msg6369#msg6369 date=1340376179]
It is ridiculous. There is more to it than just the image processor though, and this is especially key when it comes to the 5D Mark III. The sensor has to be designed in a certain way to deliver video. The reason the GH2 is so good is that the sensor takes a hybrid approach to stills and video, from the drawing board up. It is able to do most of the pixel binning in hardware on the sensor itself, and it has a very fast readout. I don't think Canon took the effort required with the 5D Mark III, it may be political but it may also be that they didn't want to compromise the stills side by making a faster sensor with the likely increase in noise and cost that would have entailed. Now the 1DX has a very fast sensor and with some cooling it is turned into a 4K Cinema EOS. If video is gimped on the 1DX it will 99% be political, in my view.

PS - The $250 Sony HX9v compact does better 1080p than a NEX so it is not just Canon being silly.
[/quote]

Haha!  I can tell you [i]really[/i] wanna like the 5d3 man....  You've already taken it apart.  I think it may be a lost cause...lol. 

When are you gonna post up an awesome vid from your fs-100!?  I'm interested in what you could do with that.  There's footage everywhere from it, but it's always the high shutter speed jittery stuff.  The right motion looks more filmic to me than resolution.  I'd like to see your take with the FS100.

[quote author=Germy1979 link=topic=880.msg6437#msg6437 date=1340507506]When are you gonna post up an awesome vid from your fs-100!?  I'm interested in what you could do with that.  There's footage everywhere from it, but it's always the high shutter speed jittery stuff.  The right motion looks more filmic to me than resolution.  I'd like to see your take with the FS100.
[/quote]

I know it's OT here, but I join your request. At times I really miss the form factor of my former camcorders (Sony VX2000 and Canon XHA1). The FS100 seems to have some advantages over the whole DSLR shebang. Why are there no convincing clips on youtube?

Also, I keep track of the ebay price development for the AG 101. Some got sold for only about 2000 €, body only. Now prices are going up. Could it be that the waiting for the perfect DSLR made peoples asses sore, and the unloved brick looked more and more reasonable?

Especially when we take a glimpse at the progresses on the EOS front, as far as AF-capabilities and anti-moire are concerned:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jE_rHgFzFpI

I'm sorry to be an asshole, but you guys are all wrong specifically Andrew.

it is made for STILLS FIRST, not video, Canon said way back (in 2011/2010) that they are NOT going to make it video first, hence there are no improvements nor is it on their 'to do list', it is designed for Photos, video is a extra, if you would like smashing video, buy a video camera, or another dSLR that delivers better, but stop being retarded, and crying about video features on a photo camera.

• Administrators
That comment above is extremely short sighted to say the least. There's no excuse for not improving existing features, be it stills or video. Convergence is happening. Do Apple sit by and not improve their graphics chip on an iPhone because it is primarily a phone not a games console?

The size of the market Canon is pissing off with lacklustre DSLR video modes is sizeable.

[quote author=Andrew Reid link=topic=880.msg6537#msg6537 date=1340739062]
That comment above is extremely short sighted to say the least. There's no excuse for not improving existing features, be it stills or video. Convergence is happening. Do Apple sit by and not improve their graphics chip on an iPhone because it is primarily a phone not a games console?

The size of the market Canon is pissing off with lacklustre DSLR video modes is sizeable.
[/quote]

You should read my topic on things like this...hilariously ironic.

[quote author=Germy1979 link=topic=880.msg6555#msg6555 date=1340770508]

[/quote]

You should read my topic on things like this...hilariously ironic.
[/quote]

lol

[quote author=sicovdplas link=topic=880.msg6536#msg6536 date=1340737996]
I'm sorry to be an asshole, but you guys are all wrong specifically Andrew.

it is made for STILLS FIRST, not video, Canon said way back (in 2011/2010) that they are NOT going to make it video first, hence there are no improvements nor is it on their 'to do list', it is designed for Photos, video is a extra, if you would like smashing video, buy a video camera, or another dSLR that delivers better, but stop being retarded, and crying about video features on a photo camera.
[/quote]

exactly

[/quote]

Andrew, you are not running the company.  It is a commercial decision that DSLRs are NOT improved as it threatens their camcorder line, and I fully understand their reasoning.

Also, they can fall into a different legal category for importation, a still camera legal becomes a camcorder and subject to different taxes tarriffs etc

Canon, Pana, ec, do not exist for the convenience of a few would be if they could be self important film makers.

Do yourself a favour, ask the boss of Canon, Pana, for an interview and get it from the horses mouth

[quote]The size of the market Canon is pissing off with lacklustre DSLR video modes is sizeable.[/quote]

LOL.  If that were true, they wouldn't do it

[quote author=amband link=topic=880.msg6571#msg6571 date=1340789989]
[quote]The size of the market Canon is pissing off with lacklustre DSLR video modes is sizeable.[/quote]

[/quote]

Well, then explain "classic" coke versus "new" coke.  With millions of dollars in research, Coca-Cola decided it was in their best interest to change the recipe.  That didn't turn out well for them.  Or how about sony betamax?  How much money did sony pour into that?

At the end of the day, companies can be stupid some times.  Canon is letting people play in its "video" playground (blackmagic, panasonic gh2, sony, etc.).  It could have been the king of the play ground, but it decided not too.  Now if canon isn't carefully, someone else is going to be king and kick canon out on its pompous butt :-)  Nobody can be king forever if they don't watch their back... canon is not watching it's back...

• Administrators
Not just Canon but the whole of the Japanese camera business community should be watching their backs if TV and other consumer electronics sales are anything to go by.

South Korea is more competitive on the cost of their exports. Now Samsung are a leader in LCD panel technology nobody can deny they deserve to own, along with LG, the TV market.

As soon as China gets the technology required, they will be doing full frame DSLRs for $500 and nobody will be buying 5D Mark IIIs any more.

[quote author=eleison link=topic=880.msg6595#msg6595 date=1340831415]
[quote author=amband link=topic=880.msg6571#msg6571 date=1340789989]

[/quote]

Well, then explain "classic" coke versus "new" coke.  With millions of dollars in research, Coca-Cola decided it was in their best interest to change the recipe.  That didn't turn out well for them.  Or how about sony betamax?  How much money did sony pour into that?

At the end of the day, companies can be stupid some times.  Canon is letting people play in its "video" playground (blackmagic, panasonic gh2, sony, etc.).  It could have been the king of the play ground, but it decided not too.  Now if canon isn't carefully, someone else is going to be king and kick canon out on its pompous butt :-)  Nobody can be king forever if they don't watch their back... canon is not watching it's back...
[/quote]

Canon have a camcorder line and they won't allow the DSLR, a stiils camera to compete against it