KIEV 16U-mount Lenses - MIR-11M, TAIR-41M, VEGA-7-1 on GH2

andy lee

Hi everyone,

I'm Andy Lee and new to this forum , I direct pop videos for TV and currently have a film in development.
I also have a company making DSLR Cinema camera rigs - Tecnoir.

I'm just switching over to GH2 as a new camera platform after reading about it on this site and  Andrew's GH2 Guide about using it as a cimena camera.

I've been using 5DMK2 and 550d's for the past 2 years everyday for work.

I recently aquired a set of 3 KIEV 16U-mount Lenses - MIR-11M, TAIR-41M, VEGA-7-1  all great little Russian lenses and in mint condition.

The question to you all is can I adapt these to use on my GH2?

thanks
Andy Lee
Tecnoir

• Administrators

Welcome to the forum Andy.

The 12mm might vignette. The 20 and 50mm might be ok.

They have a M32 0.5 screw mount as far as I believe. Similar to M39 (L39 Leica M) but smaller. The problem is I don't think there are any adapters from M32 to Micro Four Thirds. It isn't a very common mount. Maybe you could get one custom built or maybe someone else knows of one on the market?

I heard from a little birdie that this 42-32mm step ring screwed in to a M42 to m4/3 adapter will work.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/T-mount-42mm-to-32mm-42-32-42-32mm-Stepping-Step-Down-Ring-Adapter-for-Telescope-/290701200857?pt=UK_Photography_Step_Rings&hash=item43af244dd9#ht_532wt_1066

Worth a shot.  ;)

Hi Andrew,

thanks for that , I just bought 2 GH2s this week for work to use them as the basis for film rigs,
I bought your GH2 shooters guide book and it has been invaluable ! very very good and useful as Im completely new to GH2 after years on 5ds and 550S.
If I had not read your book I dont think I would have switched to GH2s - but you have convinced me to switch over!!
Ive only had the cameras for a day now and already I think they are going to be much better than the Canons.

Im building a new anamorphic rig around them

this is the Tecnoir rig I mentioned
tecnoir-rig-4a-short-handles.jpg

Andy

Hi Andrew,

thanks for that , I just bought 2 GH2s this week for work to use them as the basis for film rigs,

I bought your GH2 shooters guide book and it has been invaluable ! very very good and useful as Im completely new to GH2 after years on 5ds and 550S.

If I had not read your book I dont think I would have switched to GH2s - but you have convinced me to switch over!!

Ive only had the cameras for a day now and already I think they are going to be much better than the Canons.

Im building a new anamorphic rig around them

this is the Tecnoir rig I mentioned

tecnoir-rig-4a-short-handles.jpg

Andy

why not use a camcorder instead of all that aftermarket stuff?

m32 - m42 adaptor arrived today - and fitting it onto a m42- mircro4/3 adaptor the 50mm lens works for macro close up stuff ok - the 20mm and 12mm dont work
Need to get them nearer the sensor - flange focal distance is wrong!

So looks like some adaptor butchering will be needed!!
Oh well worth a try !!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

I heard from a little birdie that this 42-32mm step ring screwed in to a M42 to m4/3 adapter will work.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/T-mount-42mm-to-32mm-42-32-42-32mm-Stepping-Step-Down-Ring-Adapter-for-Telescope-/290701200857?pt=UK_Photography_Step_Rings&hash=item43af244dd9#ht_532wt_1066

Worth a shot.  ;)

Wow, now that is the coolest thing I've heard as i just ordered one of those Rafcams adapter rings for $65!!!! what a burn,

this is way better, and now I can have three instead of just one. i got that same set of 16U lenses, cant wait to use them....

• 1 month later...

Worth a shot.  ;)

The threads are of different tilt so they will only turn a couple of times, then get stuck, while ruining the soft brass threads on your lens, so when you say its worth a shot, it is, with a gun, at the birdie.

Until the Chinese start making decent low cost 16U to MFT adapters, the only place to get good ones (not cheap) is here:

http://rafcamera.com/en/adapters/mft/kiev-16u-to-mft-mount-adapter

• 4 months later...