A hack for internal 8.6K RAW 30fps on the Sony a1

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

Just been playing with the H+ mode on the a1.

This gives an open gate 8.6K compressed RAW (13bit) at 30fps for approximately 6 seconds before the buffer fills up.

This is begging for a hack to turn it into an internal RAW video mode isn't it?

As it stands, my hack is to simply use this mode and combine the RAW frames in Resolve.

Should be an interesting thing to play with though.

And it doesn't need a CFe type A card to do the 6 seconds, any half decent UHS-II SD does the job although it does take longer for the buffer to clear (around 30 seconds!)

Wish it had the option for Medium and Small RAW sizes (i.e. 2K or 4K) not just the full res, then it could roll for quite a bit more than 6 seconds.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
18 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Just been playing with the H+ mode on the a1.

This gives an open gate 8.6K compressed RAW (13bit) at 30fps for approximately 6 seconds before the buffer fills up.

This is begging for a hack to turn it into an internal RAW video mode isn't it?

As it stands, my hack is to simply use this mode and combine the RAW frames in Resolve.

Should be an interesting thing to play with though.

And it doesn't need a CFe type A card to do the 6 seconds, any half decent UHS-II SD does the job although it does take longer for the buffer to clear (around 30 seconds!)

Wish it had the option for Medium and Small RAW sizes (i.e. 2K or 4K) not just the full res, then it could roll for quite a bit more than 6 seconds.

Love it. 6 seconds is definitely usable for lots of BROLL. Then just switch over to the 10 bit for longer form content, especially talking heads where you can light things. 

• Administrators
On 9/26/2023 at 11:14 PM, BTM_Pix said:

Instead of filling it with six seconds in one go, if you do it in one second bursts with a gap will the buffer clear in time to keep going after the sixth?

And what length of gap would it be to enable it to do that ?

It might clear it on a Cfexpress type A card, as they are rather speedy.

Unfortunately I ain't got one as they are also rather pricey.

I think it can fill the buffer at such a high rate of data, 50MP 30fps RAW, due to the buffer pretty much being onboard the sensor in a 3D circuit pattern.

But that does mean things slow down after so many GB of data works it way off the buffer, and through to the card.

It is also rather heavy on the battery.

A fun trick though and something to play with.