Lumix S5ii users (urgent assistance required)

MrSMW

So I just came back from my latest 3 day job and zero issues at that job or any previous one using these bodies.

I have them set up IDENTICALLY and like to think I am pretty familiar with them having used my first one for the last 8 jobs and the second for the last 3.

But upon my return today, something very odd has happened and I cannot work it out, am away on vacation tomorrow and on my return, am away for my next job, ie, zero opportunity to send the things off to be inspected which could takes weeks or even a month plus.

Unit 01 = the AF sensitivity just seemingly disappeared on the shutter button, ie, the normal gentle half press has turned into the need for a much harder press usually resulting in taking a still.

(We are talking stills mode here).

Unit 02 = at exactly the same time, the shutter button with this one has turned into a hair trigger. The slightest touch and it takes a pic.

I've checked all my settings and as far as I am aware, I have not changed a single thing.

It's somewhat unreal that an issue can occur and the polar opposite issue, at the same time, with 2 of my 3 working cameras...but it has.

So if anyone has any wise advice, I'm all ears!

I have tried flipping between AFS and AFC and all the different AF modes...and nothing. One unit now does not want to half press AF and the other has become a hair trigger.

WTF??!!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

I'm guessing you've ruled this out so forgive the sucking eggs advice but it could be in the Focus/Shutter Priority settings you have in combination with AF type ?

Set to Focus can give the impression of too long a press while focus is not locked and set to Release can give the impression of a hair trigger.

I've found that if the AF is in Tracking mode then you can be holding the shutter full down for a loooong time before the shutter releases.

Quickest way to test both would be to put them both in Release priority.

467024356_ScreenShot2023-07-03at19_35_07.png.de90e84b34d987421e70dbbdf1e95752.png

Fixed the hair trigger.

I don’t know how because I have tried that many combos, but that one is sorted.

The other though, nope @BTM_Pix it’s not that…

Default on the S5ii it’s focus for AFS and balance for AFC and I leave my cameras in AFS for stills and video as video they use AFC anyway. I think… My brain is that addled right now I’m questioning my own sanity…

The thing is I haven’t changed anything on either so it’s just bizarre.

These things were just set up for how I work and have just done that without glitches.

Back button AF-ON works for focusing, but it’s an alien muscle memory way of working for me.

I still have an unopened S5iix sitting here which was going back tomorrow, but now…

I do think there is some kind of tactile/mechanical/electronic glitch when half pressing the shutter.

I just can’t find anything in any of the settings that can change that and my final piece of evidence in that regard is normally a half press is how you come out of the menu, but it’s now a harder press and involves taking a picture.

That ain’t right so I suspect hardware more than software?

• Super Members
32 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

Default on the S5ii it’s focus for AFS and balance for AFC and I leave my cameras in AFS for stills and video as video they use AFC anyway.

On mine, I can get it to take an inordinate amount of time to release when the AF is in Tracking mode and then it will still occasionally do it when I switch it to Area but its not consistent and sounds like a different issue to what you are having anyway.

By the by, I sometimes don't think the AF ON is performing properly but I need to look into that further.

32 minutes ago, MrSMW said:

That ain’t right so I suspect hardware more than software?

You could try using the Save/Restore Camera Setting function to make a copy of the settings of each camera onto their respective SD cards then swap the cards and load the settings up on each to see if the behaviour transfers to each camera.

If Unit 02 doesn't start misbehaving in the same way as Unit 01 when it is using its settings then that would imply it is a hardware fault.

Similarly, after saving the settings, you could do a factory reset on Unit 01, check its behaviour with defaults, then re-load your settings from the card to see if it then does it which would imply something within the custom settings you have made.

23 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

You could try using the Save/Restore Camera Setting function to make a copy of the settings of each camera onto their respective SD cards then swap the cards and load the settings up on each to see if the behaviour transfers to each camera.

Good call. Hadn’t thought of that and will try it first thing AM.

Cheers.

I do suspect it’s an issue that has developed with the shutter button on that unit…

Meanwhile, the S1H remains bullet proof.

I need 100% reliability, or at least as close as possible.

I might just swap one of the S5ii’s for another S1H as used, they are cheaper than new S5ii’s…