How do i key a teal puppet?

kaylee

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

With a dark teal subject, it should be possible to remove a key green or a key blue background.  Many digital keyers come with parametric filters that allows selection of a precise keying range in regards to hue, saturation and luminance.

Of course, the same parametric controls can be used to key out other colors than key green or key blue.

If your camera can be locked down, you could use a difference mask.  In this method, one shoots the background without subject, and, then, with the camera still locked down, the subject is shot  in front of the background.  The difference mask then keys out any part of the image that is identical in both videos.  So, the unobstructed background becomes transparent.

Here is a video that shows a few other possible keying techniques using After Effects:

8 hours ago, kaylee said:

Green screen? Blue screen? AI (half joking)?

He is not green, or blue: he is dark teal. This puppet.

In my mind, porange might be great for a backdrop color but I'm at a loss here. So many options. Halp

I'd also suggest a background that is a distant hue from the puppet and then just use a key of that hue to create the mask.   It doesn't have to be the exact opposite of the puppet, just distinct from it.  Tools like the keyer in Resolve can pick out quite specific hues.

Just be careful not to let any light bounce off the background onto the puppet or you'll have an un-natural halo on the puppet of the background colour.